Largest Payload to orbit minmus

ok i want to see who can put the largest payload around Minmus.

rules

1. no using the orbital construction mod

2. must show pictures

3. be truthful

4. use common sense

Victory Board------------Ship Name------------kerbal masses

1.Ziff --------------------IPX-X8---------------134.1 tonnes

2.Kode--------------------unknown-------------123.5 tonnes

3.OdinYggd ---------------unknown-------------103 tonnes

4.bsalis-------------------Murs Probe------------99.5 tonnes

5.NetBlitzer --------------OL-Titan MK3----------94.3tonnes

6. Olex-------------------BFL-1-----------------86.5 tonnes

7.maro -------------------unknown--------------85 tonnes

8.ssTALONps-------------Endeavor STS - IPX----79tonnes

9.kerbtrek ---------------Urchin------------------72.8tonnes

10. antiquark--------------Rescue5b---------------42 tonnes

11.Kasterfin---------------unknown----------------36 tonnes

Edited by kitsuna77

42 tons to minmus orbit. Almost all stock, except for MechJeb and the CrewTank. Not really a huge amount, but I'd be interested to see what other people can get up there, especially with stock parts. I've included the .craft file. It's covered with struts, so the lag is pretty horrible for the first and second stages.

On the pad:

03UuL.jpg

Orbiting Minmus:

8xrSo.jpg

EuDCb.png

Craft file download: http://www./?c59j9477w8ll8cr

nice job........... you are now on the leader board... i can't even get in orbit :)

MechJeb is your friend!

But if you want to avoid mechjeb, here's a method that worked well for me: go straight up for 10,000 meters, then rotate to a 45 degree angle until 50,000 meters, then go horizontal after that. Keep pressing the M key to see the map, then you'll be able to see if you've reached orbit.

MechJeb is your friend!

But if you want to avoid mechjeb, here's a method that worked well for me: go straight up for 10,000 meters, then rotate to a 45 degree angle until 50,000 meters, then go horizontal after that. Keep pressing the M key to see the map, then you'll be able to see if you've reached orbit.

i know..... the problem is my craft keeps breaking up :0

Stock + MechJeb + Crew tank, same as antiquark. But more than double the weight, 86.5 tons in Minmus orbit, and it's definitely capable of landing, and I think even returning for a powered Kerbin landing (will try that later).

XuwLe.jpg

mFAbYh.jpg

Gogmgh.jpg

nice..... you are now in first :) ............. man i'm having trouble getting of the launchpad :/

As am I. But my largest launch to even Kerbin orbit to date is only 70 tons, so I am attempting to smash all of my records at once. Currently my ground weight is up to 1500 tons, and the biggest problem at launch is actually my laptop's inability to render the flight- I end up trusting mechjeb.

Edit: Oh my god! I reached 60,000 meters, then the craft began to tumble on me and broke up. Ground weight 1587 tons, failure in stage 2 at 687 tons.

Edited by OdinYggd

As am I. But my largest launch to even Kerbin orbit to date is only 70 tons, so I am attempting to smash all of my records at once. Currently my ground weight is up to 1500 tons, and the biggest problem at launch is actually my laptop's inability to render the flight- I end up trusting mechjeb.

lol. i think im making it over complicated although my largest vehicle to orbit kerbin was 117.5 tonnes

Might try this challenge. I have a prototype for a planetary lander that I hope I can return to Kerbin as well with. Test flight was 148 tons to LKO. It's all stock except for a MechJeb.

7781531966_e2f9c5c099_c.jpg

EDIT: Just to be clear I havn't attempted Minmus yet (will soon). The craft shown is in Low Kerbin Orbit (LKO).

Edited by bsalis

I modified my heavy lifting design for this challenge. I feel like I can do better with a designated design but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

jNXn0.jpg

I forgot to take a photo of my circularized Kerbin orbit, but here is one during the injection burn. I think it was 190+ tons to orbit.

[

UiJiN.jpg

JEQZI.jpg

On a side note, you should probably determine what the orbit height at Minmus should be. Technically I was in a Minmus orbit with over 137+ tons but I was sure someone would complain if my orbit wasn't at least in visible sight of Minmus, so I lowered it to 40km.

Just achieved 103 tons to Minimus orbit. Forgot to screencap the ascent, this was really nothing more than a test flight to see if I could reach Kerbin orbit- which yielded a 151 ton to LKO. All vanilla except Mechjeb. Perhaps later on I'll separate the lander from the orbiter and attempt a Minimus landing and EVA.

I'll fly it again and screencap it if I can't do any better than that. Ended up using most of the orbiter's fuel just getting into LKO, that fuel shouldn't have been touched till minimus braking.

Edited by OdinYggd

my entry; the 'Endeavor STS - IPX'!!!

while she's at a humble mass of 79t, she is designed as interplanetary precursor vessel complete with ZO2 system, independent mobile command and 2 small landers...

next I'll try launching 700t class orbital refuel station into Minmus orbit!!!

here's link to album...

http://imgur.com/a/XUjjQ#0

Double up!

RsoTy.jpg

Most of those engines are firing since the start:

zwyFN.png

FRpPs.png

MeMpP.jpg

This was originally an attempt for a maximum density/minimum height interplanetary craft, but then I added those large LV-T30 at the bottom, and saw this minmus competition, and it started to grow much taller. I really don't know if there is any fuel cross-feed bug being exploited here... much less how to avoid it... too many engines... Of course, I tried to be at maximum thrust as much as possible.

It is a very safe rocket. 3 in 4 times there is a catastrophic failure when decoupling the first stage (generally, the decoupler or the SAS hits the LV-T30), but as the rocket is very tall, there is plenty of time to abort the mission! :D

Complete mission image gallery: http://imgur.com/a/HjWlK#0

Craft file: http://www./download.php?8d7yu58j9324yj7

Edited by Caroliano

Wow, that is one BIG rocket. I hate to say this, but I'm pretty sure there is a fuel flow bug in there somewhere. :( The math for the amount of fuel you used to move that mass just doesn't add up. Your first stage has about 1950m/s delta-v , and that used about 376 tons of fuel, and I was being nice and trying to figure it out with an Isp of 400. Although, it's not your fault and I doubt there's a way to avoid it. When you have lots of tanks and fuel lines like that it just happens. Still, really impressive though.

Which of course is making me look at my rocket all skeptical like, gonna have to go do all the math and check it. Thankfully this all gets fixed for .17. :)

Caroliano, were you getting better than 1 FPS on the first stage? I know my machine could not handle that, and it's got decent specs (GTX 680, 3.?Ghz i7, 8GB ram)

I just don't know how you made KSP handle a rocket that big.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.