New Kerbonaut reporting!

Spartan117

Hello there. Been playing the game for a while, thought I'd see what the community for the game is like and from what I've seen so far, it's fantastic! The fanart is by far the best I've seen. I actually have KSP running right now and thought I'd post this. I don't know if it's a bug or a breakdown purposefully implemented in the game (I mean both of those statements with the utmost respect, I really do enjoy this game very much), but I just landed on Mun with a broken altimeter. It reads "0 m" I can post a screencap if anyone wants it bad enough. Just thought I'd mention it. I didn't know where else it could go within the rules of the forum.

Hi Spartan117, and welcome to the community :)

The altimeter can go funny from time to time, sometimes the numbers disappear, also as it gives height from the sea level of Kerbin and the mean ground level of the Mun, it will often read high or low when landed, as yours is saying 0 meters you must have landed in one of the few places that is dead on the average for the Mun.

Hi Spartan117, and welcome to the community :)

The altimeter can go funny from time to time, sometimes the numbers disappear, also as it gives height from the sea level of Kerbin and the mean ground level of the Mun, it will often read high or low when landed, as yours is saying 0 meters you must have landed in one of the few places that is dead on the average for the Mun.

I actually forgot to grab a screencap, so that's my bad. But I know the altimeter fault wasn't related to actual altitude because it read "0 m" for the entire landing procedure on Mun. And it's probably my fault for not expressing the fault correctly. It's not "0m" per se, but the left-most digit on the read out is zero and everything else in-between the 0 and the m are blank. I should've said "0-----m" But I channeled my inner Bob Kerman and used the lander's shadow to gauge distance. Jeb was quite upset at that. At least it wasn't a "Main Bus B Undervolt", eh?

But I messed around on Mun and thought I had an intercept course with Minmus before I saved and quit for a small while. When I came back, there was no intercept course to be had. I tried small thrusts to get within Minmus' gravity well but it wasn't to be. That was the farthest and Kerbal had been in my local Kerbin system. I really wanted to check out Minmus. But I don't have a solid grasp of the advanced piloting I read about on here and just do straight launch-shots to my target. Extremely fuel inefficient.