Question!! Why do my probes, DIE At reaching DUNA

Boris Kerball

Hi Guys , any one help I guess its the new line of sight green line that i can see ( Kerbal to Minmus) where i have a base, I can only orbit Duna with a pilot onboard...lol God knows how i will get Her back..

I sent my own build up to Duna with those big Things that look like Salalite dishes on the side hoping they would relay a signal but..did not work, So i gues its a rescue mission tonight.

PS also I down loaded the Docking addon but i get a message Incompatible use 1.3 ???.

I do Miss the realistic docking camera the 6.8.1 is ok But its not as good as before the 1.3 patch.

When  your probe reaches Duna, are you the far side of it? i.e. Duna is between you and Kerbin resulting in no comms? You could also turn probe control off in the difficulty settings. This would mean you still require a connection for any fine control but allows you to pretend that the probe is programmed (like they are in real life) - you only have the option of 100% or 0% throttle and direction choice by SAS buttons only though :)

Other factors might be silly things like running out of battery, no solar panels/RTGs etc

Which dish are you using exactly? You'd probably be better off using an antenna rather than a relay dish too

Thanks Guys, I checked last night i have line of sight, Ihave elec,battery power Antena's Fuel. my rescue craft has control (pilot) with 2 RELAYS, POWER, STACK OF BATTS, and is close to Duna  but Duna probe is dead, so i will chek the error logs tonight.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

@capt: scarlet

You probably don't need relays on your probe. The difference between regular and relay is that relays can bounce the signal to other crafts, while regular antenna can grant connection to the craft they're on (that is, they can receive from kerbin or from relays) but they can't send it farther forward.

In other words, relays don't have longer range than regular antennas by themselves, but if you have a second probe with a relay on it between you and kerbin, you'll be able to go farther, because your maximum distance before losing the signal depends on how far away from the relay you are, not how far from Kerbin you are. Of course, the relay has to also have connection to kerbin, otherwise there's nothing for it to relay.

Also, it's worth pointing out that the distance your signal goes from a connection point is tied to two things: the strength of the antenna, and how much you've upgraded your tracking station. Try upgrading your tracking station and see if that helps.

Everyone knows that Duna is cursed. You can’t send satellites there, there’s this weird jammer thingy pyramid on it somewhere that disables all antennae. 

Also an invisible boulder orbiting Ike absorbs any signal coming from the Duna system, I don’t know why, you can only go there with Kerbals if you expect to do anything.

This shouldn’t be new information to anybody, it is proven fact.

if you couldn’t tell somehow I’m just messing with you 

1 hour ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

Everyone knows that Duna is cursed.

1 hour ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

Okay but that first part isn't a joke. I've encountered so many glitches there. Duna and Ike really do warp the fabric of reality - just not your comm signals.

15 hours ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

Everyone knows that Duna is cursed. You can’t send satellites there, there’s this weird jammer thingy pyramid on it somewhere that disables all antennae. 

Also an invisible boulder orbiting Ike absorbs any signal coming from the Duna system, I don’t know why, you can only go there with Kerbals if you expect to do anything.

This shouldn’t be new information to anybody, it is proven fact.

Thanks guys,  i'll give up on duna for now I'll build space station MUN/MINMUS I have a triangle of relays round Mun. and i'll work on a shuttle...lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.