Shuttle using stock parts?

DakotaSpace

I'm challenging myself to make an orbit-able STS using Kerbal's stock parts. The big issue really is the centre of thrust vs. the centre gravity: after SRB separation the whole stack just starts rotating wildly. I've tried to combat this by mounting two of the orbiter's main engines at an angle but still no joy - I can't keep it stable.

ckdyi.jpg

Notice I'm using 4 SRBs. The outboards light first and then jettison as the inboards are lit. I've had to do this mostly because a 30s burn time on the stock boosters is way too short. I'd change the config but that feels like cheating.

Has anyone achieved a shuttle-like rocket using stock parts?

Yeh, I got it to work but I had to have two 2m rockets sandwiching the shuttle, otherwise it would do all sorts of crazy stuff when launched (most common of which was soaring into the ground)

EDIT: To clarify, the shuttle (or Space Scuttle as I called it) engines were NOT firing on launch, only the "carrier" rockets where firing. Also, screenshot:

Edited by BurningSky93

From previous attempts at a proper shuttle launch configuration, it was determined the gimballing engines used on the shuttle were unable to gimbal as far as the rl shuttle, and therefore unable to properly compensate for the center of mass. There is apparently a mod engine out there that does gimbal as far as the rl shuttle engines, allowing for the compensation.

But it is more fun in attempts to achieve it using stock. I do like your use of the small LFT's and LFE's for the OMS engines.

7839466004_011a318ba2.jpg

7839466352_5b4de1b1be.jpg

That's my shuttle. It was inspired by the Dream Chaser by Sierra Nevada, which is a new shuttle they are working on to take astronauts to the ISS, etc. I spent way too much time failing at a Discovery style shuttle with the belly tank, etc. As we've found out, it won't work with stock parts.

Ascent was unstable with a bigger shuttle with bigger wings. Once I made it smaller and made the wings smaller, it was a much smoother take off.

All 3 of the "shuttle" fuel tanks are nearly full once in orbit, so there's plenty of juice left for whatever maneuvers you may need to do.

I almost succeeded to launch an asymmetrical Space Shuttle-type rocket by using SRB power on the tank side, and compensating the whole way up using the throttle of the shuttle's liquid fuel rockets. The problem was, the stock SRBs are really hard to work with and usually ended up either too strong at the very end stages, or just too jarring in the stage delay.

It was a really good-looking shuttle, too...

Edited by Clouds

Using a 2x2 stack of the larger rockets with the gimbaling engines, combined with control surfaces on the shuttle has always worked for me, might post some screenshots and the craft file of it later, if I can reproduce it.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.