Stock Maglev using docking ports

So I'm currently working on a stock magnetic rail using docking port for their magnets.

I only started some test and probably won't have the patience to push the concept very far, but I thought it might be a good idea to share the extent of my knowledge to spark some ideas, and to debunk others (I had a lot of misconceptions which once debunked makes Maglevs look much more easily doable).

The setup I tested for now is one docking port facing downward anchored to Kerbin (the "rail") and one facing up ward (the "train"), at some variable distance, with some variable ballast. The variable distance is measured in increment, a very rough mesurement which corresponds to moving once an object using the offset tool with the maj key pressed. I tried clamp-o-tron snr, clamp-o-tron  and clamp-o-tron jr, in matching pairs.

1. Vertical stability. There are stable region where the train can stably levitate. It goes against my prenotion that docking ports were simple magnets which get more and more attracted as they get closer (in that case, no stable levitation, if it goes a bit too low, it falls too high it rams into the rail and docks). The magnet force is really small, maybe null when the port are right next to each other, increases to a max value when the ports are 2 increments appart, and fades at 4-5 increments. It follows that there can be 1 stable equilibrium.
  2. Lateral stability. As expected, levitation is latterally stable.
  3. Magnet force. 4.4kN. Magnet force does not depend on the size of the port. Forget aboubt clamp-o-tron senior. 4.5 to 4.5 kN is the max I could get, but the stability region looks very small, 4kN should be safe. It means a clamp-o-Tron jr can pull 20 time it's weight, same force to mass ratio than the ass kicking 48-77s spark engine. I haven't tested the minimum force before it docks, but 2kN is also possible, although stability region looks smaller than the one of 3kN.

I only found one place in the web where this idea is ever mentionned, but it is a very promising redit post showing a mostly working prototype.

Finally, although mono rail should be possible, I would advise put two in a mickey hear configuration for increased stability (but needs testing).

I can share upon request the craft file I used for my test, but that's not much really.

Edited by Kesa

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.