Mods/Plugins/Crafts/etc Database

Moustachauve

Hey, i had this idea later on this week about making a website where you could upload your craft/mod/plugin/... so they would be better organized. For example, you could search for a ship that is able to go to the moon for 0.16 and that are only stock part, or search for a ship that launch a satellite/space station.

When you would upload one, the creator could add pictures; add a description; indicate the game version; if mods where used, which one were used; etc.

Screenshot

Home page :

designm.png

Main Database page :

63E7R.png

Details page :

sHUNB.png

Subscription page:

bxe4y.png

Features

• User system

• Comment system

• Search

• List of mod/plane/rocket/plugin

• Filters

• Advance search with filters

• Rating system

• Tags system

• Update system

• More ...

Search/Navigation filters

General :

• Stock

• version

Plane specific :

o Long-range

o Orbit capable

o Space exploration

o Easy handling

o Easy landing

o RCS

o VTOL

o Fast

o High altitude

o Replica

Rocket specific

o Mun able

o Minmus able

o Return capacities

o Heavy lifter

o RCS

o SSTO

o Replica

o Space Station

o Mun/Minmus base

Plugin specific

o

Mod specific

o Plugin powered

(Feel free to suggest me any other filters or features, I'll add them.)

We need your opinions !

From All Mod/Plugin Developers : See this link : http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/18305-Calling-All-Mod-Plugin-Developers-I-have-a-proposal-I-need-your-support

From every one : How would you prefer to browse plane/craft/mod/plugins? 1) or 2) ?

LvzUU.png

PS: I would need a logo, as I am not good with artwork, so it would be very nice from you if someone could make us a nice logo.

Edited by Moustachauve

Looks nice but what I would recommend is that you make a category page for when you click on database.

Have a look at the nexus mod sites they have a good overview of all categories in a nice list and it's easy to add more that list and keep the category list organized.

Each category brings up a new page with the corresponding mods and various data at which you can rank the mods for example download count descending/ascending.

I can ask a few friends of mine for more advice since they are web designers and do stuff like this all the time.

Your idea looks cool too but I'm afraid people will lose the overview of the pages when a lot of mods are being added.

Still great work ;D

Well, you will have filters to affect what you are seeing, for example, you can choose to only see the craft for 0.16 release or to see all of them. The page shown in the screenshot is when you press on the "Database" link, it show the lastest one updated. In the left box, they will be links for only "Rockets", where you can see rocket and organize them with your selected filter.

I'll see what i can do, that could be great for the home page, thank you for your idea

It would be very nice to have some of your web designers' friend to give me advice :D

I was working on something similar to this a while back but I had to stop working on it because I had other commitments, it was pretty close to finished as well.

XVsO

XVsp

XVsu

PM me if you are interested in it, it's called kerbalnet (and at www.kerbal.net but you won't be able to access it because it's password protected).

I was working on something similar to this a while back but I had to stop working on it because I had other commitments, it was pretty close to finished as well.

PM me if you are interested in it, it's called kerbalnet (and at www.kerbal.net but you won't be able to access it because it's password protected).

Thank you for answering, I'll pm you.

I would say this is less Fan-Art and more "Addon-y," so I'm moving it to Addon Development.

Oh, sorry. Could you edit the title to "Mods/Plugins/Crafts/etc Database" please?

I'll shortly start the PHP part, once all the stylizing will be finished. I'll keep you updated !

Edit : this is what the details page would look like :

sHUNB.png
Edited by Moustachauve

Licenses and all?

Plugins. They require that licenses be added to them by the author and that they be followed either by the end-user or a mod-developer, depending on what the license covers. As long as no license is violated, things should be fine. There are some licenses that prohibit distribution except by the original author, but I'm unsure if any KSP plugins have one of those, so it'd be a good idea to read through any licenses belonging to plugins before posting them (and of course, always ask the original author for permission, just in case and as courtesy.).

Plugins. They require that licenses be added to them by the author and that they be followed either by the end-user or a mod-developer, depending on what the license covers. As long as no license is violated, things should be fine. There are some licenses that prohibit distribution except by the original author, but I'm unsure if any KSP plugins have one of those, so it'd be a good idea to read through any licenses belonging to plugins before posting them (and of course, always ask the original author for permission, just in case and as courtesy.).

I suggest, that you always ask for permission no matter what the license says. Not everybody can keep track of everything.

I've written the Feature list :

• User system

• Comment system

• Search

• List of mod/plane/rocket/plugin

• Filters

• Advance search with filters

• Rating system

• Tags system

• Update system

• More ...

And here is some filters I've tough about for when you are searching or navigating through a list :

General :

• Stock

• version

Plane specific :

o Long-range

o Orbit capable

o Space exploration

o Easy handling

o Easy landing

o RCS

o VTOL

o Fast

o High altitude

o Replica

Rocket specific

o Mun able

o Minmus able

o Return capacities

o Heavy lifter

o RCS

o SSTO

o Replica

o Space Station

o Mun/Minmus base

Plugin specific

o

Mod specific

o Plugin powered

Feel free to suggest me any other filters or features!

Subscription page:

bxe4y.png

I should be able to start a beta before Monday if everything go well ! I have almost finish every thing to release a first version, to see if you enjoy using it and to give you time to be familiar with it while I add more functionality.

We need your opinions !

From All Mod/Plugin Developers : See this link : http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/18305-Calling-All-Mod-Plugin-Developers-I-have-a-proposal-I-need-your-support

From every one : How would you prefer to browse plane/craft/mod/plugins? 1) or 2) ?

LvzUU.png

first image by far, too much space is used by the (redundant) filters in the second image. Why does each record have individual filtering? that seems a little bit stupid imho. Wouldn't the filters be more suited at the top of the listing and then using the space for descriptions.

Also your namespaces are probably too short in image one, looks like 30 odd characters which isn't enough unless your forcing shortening :3

Why does each record have individual filtering? that seems a little bit stupid imho. Wouldn't the filters be more suited at the top of the listing and then using the space for descriptions.

Can you explain this please? i don't really understand what you imagine with the filters placement.

for the name lenght, i think its ok : RPiR2.png

also here is the subscription page:

bxe4y.png

I'm not actively programming at the moment since I'm busy with plenty other stuff.

Edited by Moustachauve

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.