Aukury Planet Pack (InDev) KSP 1.4.2-5

qazqazqaz

Aukury Planet Pack

What is this? The Aukury Planet Pack will be designed to add a mega system of moons around the far out tan colored gas giant Aukury.

Current pieces of the mod: Aukury.

Interesting things you might want to know: I don't use normal maps. Why? When I first started making celestial bodies in KSP, I often pleaded for help with irregular objects. I was told that you need a normal map to determine physical features viewed from the tracking station. But then after some experimentation with habitable worlds, I made a planet I called Chame Temi, which unlike Kerbin, had visible bumps. Ice caps were towering over the ocean, and islands made tiny bumps on the terrain. So basically, I found normal maps unnecessary.

On a side note I'm looking forward to the development of the mod and your inputs.

Next mod feature: https://linkto.run/p/B22P0M7Y

Edited by qazqazqaz

On 7/31/2018 at 1:42 PM, qazqazqaz said:

Ice caps were towering over the ocean, and islands made tiny bumps on the terrain. So basically, I found normal maps unnecessary.

Normal maps are very necessary, however, you very much misunderstood how to use them. In a normal map, white means maximum extrusion/protrusion and black means maximum depression. You need to take care when arranging the gradients (and how far you move from 50% gray) in these images or you will meet with that problem every time.

That said, you should totally continue developing this, and with normal maps. The idea of a tan gas giant with  many moons is very interesting.

Moved from Add-on Releases as it seems to still be in Development phase.

When you are ready to release, you can either create a new thread in Add-on Releases, or ask to have this one moved back by Reporting the OP and stating you want it moved.

2 hours ago, Val said:

Moved from Add-on Releases as it seems to still be in Development phase.

When you are ready to release, you can either create a new thread in Add-on Releases, or ask to have this one moved back by Reporting the OP and stating you want it moved.

Understood.

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Normal maps are very necessary, however, you very much misunderstood how to use them. In a normal map, white means maximum extrusion/protrusion and black means maximum depression. You need to take care when arranging the gradients (and how far you move from 50% gray) in these images or you will meet with that problem every time.

That said, you should totally continue developing this, and with normal maps. The idea of a tan gas giant with  many moons is very interesting.

I'll explain my reasoning more, I'm on Linux, meaning my go for making Height maps is GIMP, where I essentially combine the uses of Normals and Heights with gradients and bumps. I'll have no problem in taking more care with my gradients to decrease the radicalness of the terrain. I have personally searched for programs that allow dds formats to be generated but with no luck. If you have any recommendations i'm all ears, but for now this is what i'll do

Nearest Feature: Titan analouge.

Edited by qazqazqaz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.