KSP Loads to Black Screen [RESOLVED]

When I launch KSP it launches with a black screen and cursor. It isn't frozen, as the cursor still appears and can be moved around the screen and clicked (it turns green when clicked) although no way of knowing if clicking it is doing anything.

The game appears to be loading, as it is silent initially and then after pausing some time (as if loading) the main menu music kicks in.

It is likely not a graphics card problem, as I can run other games without any issues.

Things I have tried based on reading other similar problems that have not worked. Running KSP windowed, running KSP full screen, changing KSP's resolution, turning off Windows Defender, turning off Firewall (shouldn't matter, as it is excepted from the firewall anyway), launching KSP from the exe rather than through Steam, removing all mods, uninstalling and reinstalling through Steam, deleting the Kerbal Space Program folder entirely and then uninstalling and reinstalling, validating integrity of files ( but see below), deleting the exe files and forcing Steam to redownload them, updating graphic card drivers, launching 32 bit.

One interesting thing is that if I validate the files it will say everything checks out, then I will run KSP, it will be a black screen, and when I validate files again it will say 1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired. It reacquires the file, everything validates, I run KSP again, black screen, repeat. So, every time I run it 1 file appears to become no longer valid, but not sure what file or why.

Here's the KSP Log.

KSP Log

Here's the output log (split into two parts)

Output Log Part 1

Output Log Part 2

I should add that I cannot say whether this problem was introduced by the most recent patch as it had been several version releases since I last played.

Any help would be great.

Edit: See 4x4cheesecake's answer for resolution.

Edited by DeForestation Kelley
Question answered and resolved

Welcome to the forum :)

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

at UnityEngine.Display.RecreateDisplayList (System.IntPtr[] nativeDisplay) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Apparently, unity cannot find your display :o

I've found an entry in a steam discussion and it looks like a possible solution would be to open the Nvidia Control Panel, swtich to 'Adjust desktopsize and position' and change the aspect ratio to 'no scaling'.
I cannot confirm this because any changes in these settings doesn't break the game for me but it is worth a try ;)

Link to the original steam discussion: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1480982971174752598/

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

4 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I've found an entry in a steam discussion and it looks like a possible solution would be to open the Nvidia Control Panel, swtich to 'Adjust desktopsize and position' and change the aspect ratio to 'no scaling'.
I cannot confirm this because any changes in these settings doesn't break the game for me but it is worth a try ;)

Link to the original steam discussion: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1480982971174752598/

This worked! Thanks so much.

• 10 months later...
On 8/18/2018 at 10:16 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

Hi, i have just got KSP and i know this is old, but i use mac and  when i try to start KSP , the window is plain back, but it shows the cursor and it goes green. my system requirements match, and i haven't bought it on steam as i would like to mod it. can you help me please?

1 hour ago, SpaceGeezer said:

Hi, i have just got KSP and i know this is old, but i use mac and  when i try to start KSP , the window is plain back, but it shows the cursor and it goes green. my system requirements match, and i haven't bought it on steam as i would like to mod it. can you help me please? 

I've never ever used a mac in my life, so if it turns out to be a mac specific issue, I have no idea what to do but let's try it anyway ;)

First of all: have you read this one already?

As you can see, the first time I was able to help by finding something in the log file, so your log might be interesting as well. Take a look here if you don't know where to find it:

You have to upload the log to a third-party host (filer hoster or a cloud like dropbox/one drive, google drive...) and share a download link here.

• 1 year later...

Nevermind. I found out: If your GameData folder doesn't have a Squad folder, then the game won't load, or work properly.

If you bought KSP from Steam, then right-click on the game's name, then press 'Properties', then 'Local Files' then click 'Verify Integrity of Game Files.'

If the Squad folder is missing, then Steam will detect that and auto re-download missing files for you. Also, I thought it might delete mod files that were inside of the GameData folder, but Steam detects that they're not a game-ruining thing. 

• 6 months later...

I'm having the exact same issue as the OP as well (stuck on black loading screen, with theme music, not frozen, just never progresses), but I can't figure out if it's the "array index out of range thing." I'm trying to post my KSP log and output log, but I can't figure out how (Pastebin keeps crashing, is there another way?).

I also tried the fix that 4x4 Cheesecake suggested, but my GPU is an AMD product, not Nvidia, so I don't think it'll work for me.

Note that this has never happened until today, immediately following my install of KSRSS, for which I had to revert to game version 1.8.1. Could that have something to do with it?

Edited by bwest31415

On 2/10/2021 at 2:35 AM, bwest31415 said:

I'm having the exact same issue as the OP as well (stuck on black loading screen, with theme music, not frozen, just never progresses), but I can't figure out if it's the "array index out of range thing." I'm trying to post my KSP log and output log, but I can't figure out how (Pastebin keeps crashing, is there another way?).

I also tried the fix that 4x4 Cheesecake suggested, but my GPU is an AMD product, not Nvidia, so I don't think it'll work for me.

Note that this has never happened until today, immediately following my install of KSRSS, for which I had to revert to game version 1.8.1. Could that have something to do with it?

Try a different file sharing site. You’re probably getting an error or exception when the game tries to load which is causing this problem, but without the logs (and a mod list) it’s impossible to say what’s wrong.

You’d be better off starting a new thread with your issue than resurrecting this one, it’s several years old and is referring to a much older version of KSP so is unlikely to be caused by the same thing, plus it can be hard to keep track of what people are talking about if there are several different discussions on the same thread at different times.

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.