KSP Running poorly/at low frame rate

Ok guys hello,

first time posting on the forum and I'm hoping this is in the right place to post this problem, If it isn't I apologise.

Okay so my PC is built by myself and it has never ever had any issues with lag or framerate unless I'm building an absolute monstrosity.

I've had an absence from the game for about 2 weeks now and today it is running like absolute crap, even the startup menu is laggy.

So I decided to check for a update patch and there was so I updated to the current version and relaunched - same problem. My next move was to check for any background programs that were taking up extra CPU - I did find a program that was running at 30% usage so I shut that down, tried to run KSP again and still no joy.

I decided to uninstall/reinstall KSP and that hasn't made any difference at all (yay there goes my career mode).

I also run FSX Steam Edition with Ultra high settings on everything and that is running buttery smooth, as is every other game that I have.

PS - I've always been able to run KSP with iTunes at the same time with no issues and I've tried running it with absolutely everything else apart from the game running. Game runs off my PC's SSD currently.

Please help as its completely putting me off even attempting to run the game.

Cheers

James

I have a few questions here:

Do you use any mods? If so, do you use any tools to install them?
Any driver updates through the two weeks you didn't play KSP?
Some basic system specs? (OS, GPU,CPU,RAM)

A log file would be helpful as well (upload it to a filehoster and share a download link). If you don't know where to find the log files, take a look at this post:

(I prefer the output_log but the KSP.log should be fine as well) ;)

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I have a few questions here:

Do you use any mods? If so, do you use any tools to install them?
Any driver updates through the two weeks you didn't play KSP?
Some basic system specs? (OS, GPU,CPU,RAM)

A log file would be helpful as well (upload it to a filehoster and share a download link). If you don't know where to find the log files, take a look at this post:

(I prefer the output_log but the KSP.log should be fine as well) ;)

Hi thank you for responding,

I play completely stock

No driver updates at all in the last month

System specs;

Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Asus Prime Z270-A

Intel i5-7600K running at 3.8Ghz

Asus GeForce Dual GTX 1060 6gb

16Gb (2x8gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133Mhz

I followed the steps in the link you provided but I have no log file anywhere to be found.

any help is greatly appreciated and thank you

kind regards

James

Hm...no mods, no updates and your system got more than enough power to run KSP. But at least:

3 hours ago, JuanboNo5 said:

I'm hoping this is in the right place

Yes it is :D

Do you actually run the 64bit version of KSP? How do you launch the game?
Any startup parameters like ' -force-opengl ' ?
Any unsual performance peaks in the taskmanager? You already mentioned that you found another program that used 30% of CPU but how about the CPU and RAM usage of KSP?

To find the output_log.txt, you can copy&and paste ' %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\ ' (without ' at the beginning and the end) in the adressbar of any window of your windows explorer and the right folder will open. The KSP.log is located in your KSP install directory, literally between the 'KSP.exe' and 'KSP_x64.exe' :) So the KSP.log is a bit easier to find and if something is wrong with your game, it should be clear visibile in both logs ;)

Gonna ask a dumb one....   Have you rebooted since starting to play again?   I have found when KSP starts to run crappy, it's time for a reboot.  Just turn it off, and back on again reboot. 

Also, can we get a definition of laggy?   Is it slow to react, or does it pause and stutter every few seconds?

If you mean there is like a stutter or pause every so many seconds I have found turning "highlight FX" off in the game settings makes that go away for some reason....

If you mean the game is super slow in general I have found putting your NVIDIA graphics settings to default has fixed that, at least for me....

Lastly I just read something about AVAST making the game load slow. I didn't even realize I had AVAST on my computer.  I don't even remember installing it. Sometimes it comes bundled with other software. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have an uninstall program included with it. When I Googled it there is an uninstaller specifically to remove it that you can download, but you have to run the uninstaller in safe mode....which I just did today, lol.

Sometimes Antivirus software in general can make games run slower. Especially if they happen to run constantly in the background. Sometimes you have to remove said programs if they are causing issues....

Sorry its been a while, things are very busy for me at the moment. 

So the update is that I've got the program working again, I had two graphics card updates to install and they seem to have done the job.

Thank you for all your help, its nice to know that if players encounter issues that you guys are on hand to help out and I appreciate that.

Just got to restart my career again!

15 hours ago, JuanboNo5 said:

Sorry its been a while, things are very busy for me at the moment. 

So the update is that I've got the program working again, I had two graphics card updates to install and they seem to have done the job.

Thank you for all your help, its nice to know that if players encounter issues that you guys are on hand to help out and I appreciate that.

Just got to restart my career again!

I'm glad it's sorted!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.