Sputnik Challenge

Hannand Kerman was visiting Baikurbanur yesterday and a thought popped into my head.

The Challenge: Build a fully stock Sputnik/R7 replica (no DLC parts either).

Transport the rocket from the KSC to the Baikerbanur Launchpad. You can do this in any way you like, as long as no Hyperedit/cheats are used. Be creative.

Launch the rocket into orbit!

I am assuming the the R-7 replica needs to follows these specifications in terms of height, weight etc. 

JGvZi4M.png

The R-7 was 30m tall and weighed 140 tons fully fuelled, quite a challenge to get to Baikerbanur  .  Or would a mini R-7 in similar configuration (capable of launching the Sputnik, 500kg payload) be OK?  Also which engines best match the RD-107 engine?  A twin nozzle engine that was 1 ton in weight, and had 800kN ASL thrust.   A single Vector has the right thrust, but is 4 tons.  Or 2 x Terriers = 1 ton, but nowhere near enough thrust.  I am thinking 2 x Swivels seems about right and performs appropriately when tested.  Thoughts?

Here is my R-7 with Swivels.  Matches the specs fairly closely.

lCHPymP.png

Edited by jinnantonix

5 hours ago, jinnantonix said:

I am assuming the the R-7 replica needs to follows these specifications in terms of height, weight etc. 

The R-7 was 30m tall and weighed 140 tons fully fuelled, quite a challenge to get to Baikerbanur  .  Or would a mini R-7 in similar configuration (capable of launching the Sputnik, 500kg payload) be OK?  Also which engines best match the RD-107 engine?  A twin nozzle engine that was 1 ton in weight, and had 800kN ASL thrust.   A single Vector has the right thrust, but is 4 tons.  Or 2 x Terriers = 1 ton, but nowhere near enough thrust.  I am thinking 2 x Swivels seems about right and performs appropriately when tested.  Thoughts?

I'd hope that a smaller-scale model would be reasonable, given that Kerbin is smaller than Earth anyway and needs less delta-v to orbit. Even this 1.25m scale R-7 replica I made has almost 2 km/s of excess delta-v for this mission:

uywjZCi.png

It uses a cluster of four Spark engines (which actually have decent sea-level thrust) to model the main thrusters of the RD-107/108 engines and Spider engines to model the verniers. Of course the Spark engines in KSP can gimbal on their own anyway, but the main nozzles on the R-7 can't, so I locked their gimbals for this vessel. The boosters also have some cosmetic fins, although (unlike on the real R-7) they're not movable control surfaces, so the only steering mechanism this craft has are the Spider engines. As it turns out, they do the job quite nicely.

Test flight screenshots:

Spoiler

d9MXsHE.png

8ZUVQIE.png

H7vvWah.png

KiYlXnE.png

Craft file here, in case anyone else wants to use this.

Edited by vyznev

Yes, both designs are acceptable, the only specifications are:

The rocket closely resembles the R7,

has a Sputnik as a payload,

is launched from Baikerbanur (KSC 2),

and enters orbit.

(And no cheating)

(or DLC parts, because those were designed to look like historic rockets)

Edited by Jebediah Kerman Jr.

Here is my mini R7.  For the engines, I have a pair of Thuds clipped into an empty FL-T200 tank for the main twin nozzles, and  a pair of Spiders for the verniers.  The fins are fixed only, not really required as the craft is very stable.  Plan is to carry the R7 to KSC2 on a jet equipped with ISRU.  All tests passing so far.  Mission is ready to begin.

Update:  Discovered there is no ore at the KSC2, so transported the R7 fully fuelled and ready to launch - fortunately the transport jet had enough fuel to reach the KSC2 in a single hop, with plenty to spare.

1G3flHc.png

Mission Completed.

Edited by jinnantonix

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.