#autoLOC_ followed by some number. Steam deletes game files on launch

Hello,

This problem has been going on for a while and I was hoping the last update would fix it. Apparently no

When you launch an unmodded game from Steam some of the local files are automatically deleted. The most obvious outcome of this is the you would see #autoLOC_000001 or some other number during loading. When the menu loads, you would notice all menu items are autoLOC_ entities. If you manage to launch the game, you would observe there are no parts... NONE

Verifying the game cache brings back the files (about 400 plus files) but if you launch the game from Steam, the files are once more, deleted. 

The only workaround is to run the game executable directly, which is not a solution

INFO:

I am opted out of all betas
1.6.0.2395 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us
1.6.0 Making History
log file https://pastebin.com/CFqcGxBA

Edit:

It looks like removing Making History expansion and reinstalling the game from scratch solves the problem. It seems like when the expansion is there, Steam or KSP moves all config and part files into the expansion folder, and then it doesn't look for them in there. I will run a few more tests to verify.

Edited by aykincakaloz
Adding a possibly related finding

3 hours ago, aykincakaloz said:

The only workaround is to run the game executable directly, which is not a solution

How is this not a solution?  It usually recommended to launch directly from the .exe. 

It seems to me your steam launcher is the issue, and not KSP.   If playing it directly from a shortcut on your desktop is the solution, then do that....

Weird, I've never seen that launching from Steam regularly across all three platforms.

I wonder if it's because your Steam language settings have ended up getting screwy somehow? What language is it set to now? (right-click game -> Properties -> Language tab). It might be worth setting it to a different language, letting Steam download the new locale files, then changing it back?

8 hours ago, Gargamel said:

How is this not a solution?  It usually recommended to launch directly from the .exe. 

You're talking about two different things. One is an unmodded game that's not behaving properly, the other is a half-hearted solution to dealing with mods when you don't know how Steam works.

Edited by stibbons

On 12/23/2018 at 2:19 AM, Gargamel said:

It seems to me your steam launcher is the issue, and not KSP.   If playing it directly from a shortcut on your desktop is the solution, then do that....

I need it to use Steam Link properly. More importantly Steam Controller does not work when you run the exe

This does not happen to any other game I have seen on Steam. Knowing that KSP is very system sensitive, I am assuming it is something related to KSP and not only Steam

On 12/23/2018 at 6:10 AM, 4x4cheesecake said:

Also, you can add every .exe file to your steam library in the 'games' menu -> add non-steam game and browse to the .exe file. So if you move your KSP install out of the steam directory, you can still launch it through steam :)

non-steam games do not support Steam Controller scheme switching functions

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.