[Basic] How do you make module manager patches?

So I feel kind of dumb, but after some searching, looking at the Module manager page, and the documentation, I can't figure out how to even get started. Like, what file are you editing with what program? Is each patch a new file, and where would they go? I only know of the module manager dll which doesn't seem editable afaik.

I had started editing some of the game and mod configs, realized it would be a huge pain when it's time to update, then saw some references to making module manager patches and realized there was a better way to do it...but I'm stuck on this basic point.

Typically you are not editing anything when you make a Module  Manager patch (MM) the whole idea of MM is that it preserves the original cfg  allowing 1 part to be all things to all people,  some people want life support and have mod X , you add it via patch a patch that will only work if mod X is installed .  So mod users and stock player can use the same set of parts without needing endless duplicates of every part to suit every need. 

A MM patch can be standalone,  just floating loose in GameData , though most patch creators (almost everybody) place them all in their own custom folder , which keeps them all together of course. An MM patch is  a  text file created by a proper text editor (not windows default notepad)  and saved with the extension .cfg  , ie  BobsAwesomePatch_MM.cfg

And a typical ( if there is such a thing)  but simple MMpatch  looks like this

@PART[*] /// This means any and all parts 
{
	%MODULE[HitpointTracker] // this means add update or modify, in this case add a hitpoint tracker module
	{
		ArmorThickness = 120  //// this section will be specific to whatever you are doing or the module you want to fit
		maxHitPoints = 8000
		ExplodeMode = Never
	}	

}

That is a patch for a custom module, but you can use stock modules in the same way ,  and put any module in any part and stack as many as you want . Patches can be even simpler than above and also exponentially more complex  .

As far as I'm aware there's no part of a models cfg that cannot be manipulated by patch except the actual PART part name, so it's  an incredibly powerful tool once you have gained some experience.

You do not touch the module manager dll you have no need to edit or manipulate it .  you only need 1  and for pref mine lives loose in my GameData folder

Ty so much!! To confirm, if I just create a MyPatches.cfg in my GameData Folder or any folder within, with the body text:

@PART[kerbalEVAfemale]
{

@crashTolerance = 50000000

}

It'll make edit female Kerbals to survive any fall? No other steps required?

How would it decide which patch to apply last if multiple sources try to modify the same value, say from my config and from another mod? Edit: found it.

Edited by 1straycat

@1straycat  A great way to learn is to look at examples others have created. The community database of module manager patches has a ton of simple patches that each do one thing, so it's pretty easy to look at those and see how they work.

The actual editing is done in a text editor. You just have to save your patches as ".cfg" files and put them anywhere in your GameData folder. Personally I have a folder called TykoMods that I keep all mine in. They're easy to organize that way and I can just drop that whole folder into a new game install.

Edited by Tyko

@1straycat, Module Manager is extremely powerful. Take a look in some mod folders for other examples of what is possible, then go back and try to read through the documentation on the Wiki and sort of hidden in the OP of the MM thread. Also don't be afraid to ask questions in the MM thread, there are some very smart people lurking around in there.

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.