[1.5.x~1.7.x] ProgressiveColonizationSystem - Life Support & Colonization for more fun in late game

NermNermNerm

Thanks NermNermNerm. I'm now having a completely different problem. I ended up starting yet another new save due to instability so I'm speed running the Mun round trip. I send a craft there in  well under a day (~ 3 hours). The craft went directly there and back. This was the itinerary: landed on Kerbin -> suborbital Kerbin -> suborbital Mun -> landed Mun (touch and go) -> orbital/suborbital kerbin -> landed kerbin (recovered). Any idea why I'm not unlocking Mun science? Is there a way for my to cheat in the unlock?

Update: I'm not sure what happened but I somehow didn't get the achievement for landing on the Mun either. I don't know if you need to wait for like 10 seconds to get "stable" or something. Anyway doesn't look like it's an issue with the mod and I can easily "cheat" it using the debug menu to set position for a dummy probe. I'm off to the races. 

Edited by pand1024

• 2 weeks later...

I made a quick video showing what I've done so far with Progressive Colonization System. I hope you like it.

Edit: Since making this I've been reminded about some orbital mechanics that makes this video a bit cringe. If it works it works, but it would be better to arc over once sufficiently out of atmosphere to resolve drag issues.

Edited by pand1024

• 2 months later...
On 8/30/2021 at 5:50 PM, rmaine said:

@NermNermNerm I very recently started a new 1.12.2 career using PKS. Had been waiting for a version of EL that worked with 1.12.2; have one now. Anyway, 3 things I'll comment on - one new and 2 old.

The new thing is a bug in the base game that hits PKS. Fortunately, @nertea helpfully pointed me to a fix, which other users of PKS might also want to be aware of. They will want to install the community fix for the recovery cost bug in KSP 1.12.2. Without that fix, you can't get any credits for selling shinies. Not that selling shinies is horribly necessary, as contracts can provide plenty of funds. But without the ability to sell them, they seem to lack much point (though I do tend to produce them just to help hasten my production tier leveling anyway).

Thank you for this! Was really dissapointed when I had to PAY FUNDS when recovering shinies. Didn't know it was a thing in Community Fixes.

On 11/24/2022 at 5:10 PM, pand1024 said:

I'm trying to make this mod work with Restock but I'm having issues with Orbital Scanning and Stuff Spotter. I've added the following file to whitelist needed stock models:
Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ProgressiveColonizationSystem\PKS.restockwhitelist

Squad/Parts/Resources/miniISRU/
Squad/Parts/Resources/MiniDrill/
Squad/Parts/Resources/RadialDrill/
Squad/Parts/Misc/AsteroidDay/

Does it still use the Sentinel Telescope Model? Where is it supposed to be in the tech tree. All I have access to right now is the tier 0-1 orbital scanner and I don't see another part for the later tiers, anywhere.

Thank you for this tip. I also use Restock and couldn't find the factories. Although I had to change it to a capital "M" for the "miniISRU":

Squad/Parts/Resrouces/MiniISRU/

23 hours ago, X-SR71 said:

Thank you for this tip. I also use Restock and couldn't find the factories. Although I had to change it to a capital "M" for the "miniISRU":

Squad/Parts/Resrouces/MiniISRU/

It works for me without the capital M. That's weird. I submitted the patch with the lower case M. https://github.com/SteveBenz/ProgressiveColonizationSystem/blob/master/PKS.restockwhitelist
But you are correct the upstream source has capital "M": https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/blob/285d3543f91591547a38e7d13dd88c6b57400b0f/Distribution/Restock/GameData/ReStock/Restock.restockblacklist

Are you sure it doesn't work for you without the capital M? 

STPakPs.jpg
Speaking of bugs, This one is a bit endearing but, if the Kerbals are producing snacks they don't use the lower tier ones. Alas, they prefer that Tier 1 taste and the result is less than half net production.

I'm guessing this is where the problem is:
https://github.com/SteveBenz/ProgressiveColonizationSystem/blob/dca4bfe4475a6f790c56b581620ccc4d35e6d8eb/src/ProgressiveColonizationSystem/ProductionChain/TieredProduction.cs#L318

// First, we always sort Storage to the bottom - we prefer to consume produced stuff before
//  any stashed stuff

Edited by pand1024

Scanners are saying "Not in same planetary system as Minmus/Mun". Let me know if you have an idea what is going wrong.

I have a scanning ship traveling from Mun to Minmus. It is in orbit of Kerbin. Any ideas why the scanners aren't happy? I have another ship in LKO that is working perfectly fine.
yYmcO6C.png

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2023 at 5:43 PM, pand1024 said:

STPakPs.jpg
Speaking of bugs, This one is a bit endearing but, if the Kerbals are producing snacks they don't use the lower tier ones. Alas, they prefer that Tier 1 taste and the result is less than half net production.

I'm guessing this is where the problem is:
https://github.com/SteveBenz/ProgressiveColonizationSystem/blob/dca4bfe4475a6f790c56b581620ccc4d35e6d8eb/src/ProgressiveColonizationSystem/ProductionChain/TieredProduction.cs#L318

// First, we always sort Storage to the bottom - we prefer to consume produced stuff before
//  any stashed stuff

I'm not sure what other people think, but I think I would prefer the kerbals to eat as much lower-tier as possible before starting to eat higher-tier.

I have been thinking about interstellar colonization using this mod, and I think this behavior will hit me quite hard.

The reason is that I think the best way would be to bring a bunch of Tier-4 food on the ship, while at the same time producing Tier-4 food from hydroponics. Here we obviously want to prioritize the locally produced food.

Then, when setting up a base in the new system, you will start at Tier-0. So you need to supply the base with Tier-4 from the ship. However, you could run the base on a skeleton crew while researching up to Tier-4, and send surplus Tier-0/1/2/3 snacks up to the mothership.

The mothership would then be able to reduce the amount of Tier-4 fertilizer used by the Tier-4 hydroponics.

So I guess a better strategy would be to prefer lower tier over higher tier, and only within each tier prefer locally produced snacks over stored snacks.

Edited by lingfors

I just realized that the fact that planetary parts are locked until you have returned a vessel from that planet back to Kerbin is also an issue... Maybe it makes sense when you're planning to build a base on Duna, but not so much when you plan to build one on Blalo...

• 2 weeks later...

Does the mod require Community Resource pack Resources? CKAN says its a dependency, the tutorials don't reference the modded ores , the MKS style resources confuse the hell out of me so I thought this would be easier to get my head around, are Community Resources used a lot in the Supply Chains for this mod? I'm just confused as CKAN says its a dependency but the link for the mods dependencies, Community Resource pack isn't listed as one.

Edited by dOnut14

• 5 months later...

I have a problem with loading the mod. Absolutely clean Ksp 1.12.3, only the mod itself and all the requirements were installed through the SCAN. At the PlanetaryBaseInc/BaseSystem/Parts/Utility/Greenhouse/Greenhouse_g/KKAOSS_Greenhous_g stage, the download stops and hangs indefinitely in this state (and the game does not hang, pictures change, etc.) Log: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/w8ftii6uml91gbanmzrn3/Player.log?rlkey=saq50fdz6ozu3lkji0xjmxo40&dl=0

Edited by Dush_Nila

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.