Multi-port docking in 1.6.1

Dafni

1 minute ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Sorry for the noobish question, but what is multi port docking?

Think this: A large 5-meter diameter fuel depot is in LKO. The builder wants to prevent wobble since they are attaching a huge forward-pointing tug of the same diameter on the back of the tank, giving it a push instead of a pull. They decide to use an engine plate (or other multi node surface, or even just the butt of the tank) to put 4 normal-sized docking ports in the 4-way symmetry on both tank and tug beforehand. This makes it so that there are more joints to cancel the wobble.

Does this help?

Just now, LordFerret said:

I thought multi-port docking was when you placed and offset 2 or all 3 docking port sizes into a single port.  That used to work at one point.

Don’t ask me.

That was just the first thing that came to mind for me.

11 minutes ago, Fraston said:

Don’t ask me.

That was just the first thing that came to mind for me.

Another view of it I tried early on, was using an Mk1 Stack Tri-Coupler with 3 docking ports attached... the idea in mind was for more support and less wobble.  That didn't work, and likely still doesn't.

19 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Another view of it I tried early on, was using an Mk1 Stack Tri-Coupler with 3 docking ports attached... the idea in mind was for more support and less wobble.  That didn't work, and likely still doesn't.

1 hour ago, Fraston said:

Think this: A large 5-meter diameter fuel depot is in LKO. The builder wants to prevent wobble since they are attaching a huge forward-pointing tug of the same diameter on the back of the tank, giving it a push instead of a pull. They decide to use an engine plate (or other multi node surface, or even just the butt of the tank) to put 4 normal-sized docking ports in the 4-way symmetry on both tank and tug beforehand. This makes it so that there are more joints to cancel the wobble.

Does this help?

Or two options.  Make certain Adv Tweakables is Turned on and then after docking just "Auto-Strut" to the Command module / Heaviest part.

Alternatively get a mod with big docking ports / Use big docking ports.   My Depots all use either the 2.5m SR docking port or the 1.875m MOL docking-port from BluedogDB

I built a Tinker-toy (Assembled in space) inter-planetary cruise ship (more than 20 Brave Kerbals) with non-linear (The engines were well off the Center of flight) and had no issues using Auto-Strut.

Edited by Pappystein

54 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

I thought multi-port docking was when you placed and offset 2 or all 3 docking port sizes into a single port.  That used to work at one point.

I took it to mean simultaneous docking of multiple ports of whatever size in whatever orientation.

ive used it to dock long drive sections to ships with one port forward and one or more to the side. Like if you have two or more sets of engines attached to a central spine. It keeps them from splaying out to the side, particularly if they have gimbaled engines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.