Duna large modular outpost, one launch only, part of InSight challenge !

Kerbolitto

I've designed this base for fun a few days ago and I was surprised to see it could compete on InSight challenge (rank 4 - unlimited !).

As usual I've tried to come up with creative ideas and various modules to assemble a good-looking outpost, hope you'll enjoy it, too !

This outpost is made of 3 large habitations modules, one extended lab with full science experiments, a workshop with a drill and electricity storage, and a "power tube" with 8 large solar arrays. It also comes with a heavy rover to make some science on the field ! Overall this base is packed with 55 Kerbals and is designed for long-term stay.

Here's how I deployed it :

Chapter 1 : Launch

ihb6qw.jpg

t6nf4b.jpg

pp2pkp.jpg

The outpost is contained inside multiple fairings, above a descent stage, which itself sits above a Rhino transfer stage. There are 6 heavy lifters around this central core providing a high thrust (1.5G) and more than 3k dV so it's also a SSTO of some sort.

Spoiler

1 Take off !

wncwxm.jpg

2 Gravity turn :

1uf6ph.jpg

3 Circularizing maneuver : had to pitch early due to the very high thrust of the rocket, even with that Ap was quite steep and around 104km

7yi3oq.jpg

Chapter 2 : On way to Duna !

m07fx2.jpg

725vkj.jpg

f2qrho.jpg

Spoiler

1 Duna transfer maneuver :

n3gkjo.jpg

2 Duna approach maneuver : after a slight inclination change

svximr.jpg

3 Capturing on a very eccentric orbit : (no aerobraking yet)

zol2t6.jpg

Chapter 3 : Deploying stuff around, preparing to land

m4loo0.jpg

Heres RoundSat 1 which is released just after capture.

7g2l6y.jpg

SurveyScan and main Relay is also detached.

nkjnpa.jpg

x0shjx.jpg

Spoiler

1 SurveyScan maneuver : it has too much dV anyway !

t0y1df.jpg

2 Raising the mothership inclination using 2 Ike flybys on an almost resonant orbit : It was not very much needed but it looks beautifull in some way !

uq6upp.jpg

3 After circularizing the mothership, a landing site is set up :

q6xxre.jpg

Chapter 4 : Ready to land !

uhs2fy.jpg

mifwvp.jpg

uy51zk.jpg

Not seen on those pictures : RoundSat2 was detached just before retroburning the mothership to allow a sufficient communication along the descent.

Spoiler

1 Ship's already low in Duna atmosphere, the drag is quite high due to the heatshield :

rsr056.jpg

2 Landing stage powered by a single Vector with +/- 600dV : this is also the moment when the chutes were deployed.

e63yb9.jpg

3 Touchdown has to happen very gently turn the outpost on its feet :

grpoxc.jpg

4 Now the tricky part, on top of the longest section are hidden 6 Thuds and a large amount of fuel to slowly descend the craft on its side : I did not test it on Kerbin or cheated on Duna but it works quite fine!

xzbg7q.jpg

Chapter 5 : Undocking all the goodies

ipuepv.jpg

q2d0yh.jpg

Because Scarab would have lots of troubles to assemble the base on a slope, I had to persuade the whole craft to get low enough to reach a plane surface. Good thing I put a massive tank for those Thuds !

7v4vl5.jpg

Scarab is set up under a module before it detach.

4ofo6s.jpg

Central core is installed a little away from the craft to allow easy modules installation.

3io2x3.jpg

akiulw.jpg

Now for the most fragile modules of all, not sure if the airbrakes helped but they sure looks professionnal.

h5bzfw.jpg

Final module is the workshop.

Chapter 6 : Base is online and ready to partyyyyyyyy--- make science !

4tue2o.jpg

speih7.jpg

qs2mas.jpg

Someone said champagne ?!

Edited by Kerbolitto

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.