Do you like building massive spaceships? Does the launch tower get in your way?

Tommy521

If you're like me, building massive ships is something you enjoy. But with massive ships comes a problem, the launch tower. Countless times I've had to abort missions because half of the rocket was clipping into the launch tower. However, recently I've discovered a way to overcome these problems.

Step 1: Build you ship as usual. (You can use older saves ships if you want)

Step 2: Go into the KSP folder, find the folder named "Ships".

Step 3: Click "VAB", and copy the .craft file of the ship you wish to use onto the clipboard (or whatever some computers call it).

Step 4: Go back the the "Ships" folder, and click "SPH".

Step 5: Paste the .craft file of the ship you wish to use here.

Step 6: Go to the spaceplane hanger (or runway) and launch that sucker!

Warning: Always back up .craft files. You cannot add anything to your craft when it is in the Space Plane Hanger. Well, you can but not the same way. Also don't try to move anything, it will mess up the orientation. Staging should be changeable.

Sub-Warning: For some reason, canards seem to cause unbelievable amounts of lag when transferred between the VAB and SPH. Not sure why, so it's better to not use them. I've tried a few straight rockets and they launch fine, if you encounter any problems I'd be happy to add them to the warnings!

Build a spaceship!

7Wu0g.jpg

This one could encounter problems... :(

4X6Rm.jpg

Navigate some folders!

bxzte.png

Difficult to see in the SPH...

u7ry7.jpg

Wow it was really that easy! Never worry about that silly launch tower again!

2j2ZX.jpg

Edited by Tommy521

Try opening the craft file and changing the VAB line to SPH and see if that helps with your canards.

I'm not sure if that enhanced performance (the ship was pretty laggy already), but thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: I'm testing it more and I'm not really sure why those specific ships are laggy but... whatever.

EDIT: It might be the support struts... they might not be able to handle the runway. Oh well.

Edited by Tommy521

i would like to rotate my ships 45dec clock wise ie any idea how to do that?

if i do in the VAB controls also get changed which is a pain

also that trick done the other way around could be great for building space planes that launch vertically since the mirror doesnt work the same in the VAB :D

i would like to rotate my ships 45dec clock wise ie any idea how to do that?

if i do in the VAB controls also get changed which is a pain

also that trick done the other way around could be great for building space planes that launch vertically since the mirror doesnt work the same in the VAB :D

I think any way you rotate the ship 45 degrees the controls will be changed sadly :( And yes, if you wanted to launch a spaceplane vertically (perhaps add more rockets?!) it works like that.

Shift and nine taps on the rotation keys is 45° (I can't tell you which key specifically because you didn't say which axis).

In flight controls are relative to the capsule orientation while building controls are relative to the floor of the hanger, you should be able to rotate back and forth - although symmetry doesn't always behave as you expect after rotation and duplicating/refixing parts that were added symmetrically in another rotation can lead to odd results.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.