Linking ModuleManager Modules

I have been dipping my toes into ModuleManager configs for a bit, changing some masses (a small marker light should not weigh 10kg), adding Tweakscale and Avionics modules to parts, even changing Engine Configs (I wanted a RD-275 with multiple restarts), but that is all just "find examples in the existing configs" and then copy-pasta with changed variables. Now I'm trying to do a combination of things that I don't have a complete analog for, and I'm not entirely sure it is possible with just a config file.

I'm trying to use the SXT Mk2 Centrifuge in a space station with somewhat different behavior. I would like to make it only be habitable and consume power while it is rotating. I think I can do them separately. It uses FSanimateGeneric for the rotation, but I think I can remove that and use the ISRU behavior of combining a ResourceConverter and AnimationGroup modules to make it consume power only while rotating (even though I'll lose the gradual spin up and down), and I found a reference to deployableHabRestrictor, which I assume does exactly what it sounds like it does. My question is: is there is a way to make the game trigger both of those together?

I have been using these for reference: AnimationGroupResourceConverterOtherConverterOld Thread. Mostly those just showed me how much I don't understand about what I'm doing and how incomplete the documentation is. Given that my ungodly number of mods (RSS, RO, and a pile more, on top of 1.2.2 still (I hope that doesn't screw me)) makes restarting KSP with changes take many minutes, I don't really want to fight this pure trial-and-error. Any input is appreciated.

Edit: After my first attempt at using the ISRU behavior, it starts the animation and the power usage correctly, but when I turn it off, the power usage stops but the animation continues. For some reason, even a copy-paste isn't working properly. :(

Edited by ShakeNBake
First test failure

DeployableHabRestrictor doesn’t seem to do anything at all. I found it in an RO patch for PorkWorks habitat pack but I’m not sure if I have that mod. Time to fire up CKAN I suppose... Was never able to get AnimationGroup to stop the animation. Is there any better documentation on how it works?

I found an example on the forum of using variables in MM during startup, but it doesn’t appear to be able to run in game.

Also, as a side thought, is it possible to add abilities to engineers using MM? I would like to be able to use engineers to refill engine ignitions.

• 1 month later...

@ShakeNBake I understand that you want to acieve this with just stock but I'd still like to suggest this: Perhaps try installing just the dll(s) from Nertea's Station Parts redux and configuring your centrifuge to use that. All the centrifuge functions you'll want are in there. You have a great idea there btw, trying to use the Convert-O-Tron setup for it. I'm surprised it hasn't worked out perfectly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.