rover not moving on duna

11 hours ago, James Kerman said:

Hello @dangros, I think your wheels have the wrong orientation - the two bolts on the plates facing rear should face up.

Either that or because you have the control point facing up. The latter should be easy enough to check: are all the wheels running? In the same direction? But from the way the wheels sunk into the surface I believe that the orientation of the wheels is indeed the problem: I think the game doesn't really realize that the wheels are (supposed to be) in contact with the surface. Thus the "sinking in" and if they aren't in contact with the surface then they also don't push your rover around when they turn.

I've had similar problems with the landing wheels on some of my spaceplanes on Gilly. Where the game insisted that I was in immediate danger of crashing and thus didn't allow time warp or vessel switching, because it didn't register that the landing gear was already on the ground.

I think AHHans has it right. You might be under the impression that wheels in KSP are circular, so it doesn't matter which part of the wheel touches the ground. This is incorrect. Wheels have a very definite "orientation", and if the "wrong" part of the wheel is touching the ground, you may easily get stuck. The suspension of the wheel is supposed to be vertical, and above the wheel. The suspension on your wheels is obviously horizontal in your screenshot. Therefore, I wouldn't really expect your wheels to work.

Additionally, there is the matter of the orientation of your control point. When you open the menu of one of the parts on your rover, and click "control from here", that part needs to be pointing in the "forward" direction. You can tell this orientation at a glance by looking at the navball. The center of the navball is the direction the rover considers to be "forward". Your navball is aimed at the sky. This is very likely to mess up the control algorithms for the wheels. If your wheels spin in opposite directions when you push the W key, then your rover will not go anywhere. The control point can change in flight, and there are usually several parts on a craft that can serve as a control point -- which I think includes the command seats. So if you click on a command seat and select "control from here", then I think your rover may work better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.