Look what I found!-Satellite orbits in real life

CarolRawley

Communications satellites are typically 1.337 light-milliseconds (low earth orbit) to 119.4 light-milliseconds (geostationary orbit) from the surface of the Earth. Hence there will always be a delay of at least a quarter of a second in a communication via geostationary satellite; this delay is just perceptible in a transoceanic telephone conversation routed by sattelites.
Communications satellites are typically 1.337 light-milliseconds (low earth orbit) to 119.4 light-milliseconds (geostationary orbit) from the surface of the Earth.
Communications satellites are typically 1.337 light-milliseconds
1.337 light-milliseconds

lol

That was the stupidest thing I've ever read on this entire forum and probably near this entire year. You disappoint me, I was opening this thread expecting something scientific and interesting, what I got was unfunny meme bullshit.

That was the stupidest thing I've ever read on this entire forum and probably near this entire year. You disappoint me, I was opening this thread expecting something scientific and interesting, what I got was unfunny meme bullshit.

Wow, calm it. So what if he posted it? It doesn't hurt anybody.

Damn, ice-cold killer over here

Then you need to look harder, sir.

Although I concur this thread is stupid.

As pointless as this post is, it has a useful fact in it.

The average of a communications satellite low orbit is 1.337 light milliseconds. One light-millisecond is 299,792.458 metres,

so 1.337 is 400822.516346 metres, rounded to 400822 metres.

If you want realism, establish an orbit at this height and release a payload.

So, Saint, you need to think for once. ???

lol

No offence, though.

Nope, doesn't work; that orbit only applies for Earth, not Kearth (which has a much smaller diameter and thinner atmosphere). Kearth coms satellites would be in a much lower orbit.

I was simply stating that it was unfunny and stupid in my opinion. What's wrong with that exactly?

You were overreacting. True, it wasn't a good joke, but so what? The world is full of duff jokes. Unfunny jokes are a part of normal, everyday social interaction. If they irritate you that badly and you express that irritation then it makes you look short-tempered and anti-social.

It is so much better to learn techniques for defusing that annoyance. It will help you cope better in social situations such as forums.

Take care!

Nope, doesn't work; that orbit only applies for Earth, not Kearth (which has a much smaller diameter and thinner atmosphere). Kearth coms satellites would be in a much lower orbit.

Actually, that depends (almost) entirely on Kerbin's rotational rate. If it rotates at the same rotational rate as Earth, with one rotation per 24 hours, then Kerbosynchronous orbit would be pretty much the same distance away.

If you want to know what orbit Kerbal commsats would be in, open up your KSP orbital calculator and play around with circular orbit radii until you find one that has a 24-hour orbital period (assuming a 24-hour day).

Haha. They're not light-seconds, they're 1337-seconds!! :P

Actually, that depends (almost) entirely on Kerbin's rotational rate. If it rotates at the same rotational rate as Earth, with one rotation per 24 hours, then Kerbosynchronous orbit would be pretty much the same distance away.

If you want to know what orbit Kerbal commsats would be in, open up your KSP orbital calculator and play around with circular orbit radii until you find one that has a 24-hour orbital period (assuming a 24-hour day).

Erm...? It'd be MUCH closer for a 24-hour period. Orbital velocities are much slower around Kearth than Earth. For a Kerbostationary orbit to maintain the same distance above the ground as GSO, Kerbin would have to spin at the ponderous rate of once per 203.9 hours.