Robotics that don't flail around?!?!?

How is this possible?

Okay, the real simple stuff like one hinge... pistons for landing legs.... I can even do shrouded fans. That stuff seems to be okay for me.

Then I get some crazy ideas. An asteroid mining base with no RCS. Other ships will bring them in... (and slow them down). If this instantly was flagged as a bad idea by your brain you are right, BTW. So once the asteroid is moving by slowly underneath this station I can't maneuver, I'm going to  snag it with 35+ meter arm with 4 servo/hinge articulations. On the end are drills ready to harvest that sweet ore along with the necessary AGU.

So... I forgot to change the rate to like 2 degrees a second for the first move. And the flailing NEVER stopped after. Radiators breaking everywhere.... luckily I had no solar panels. 

I assume there is too much weight on the joints? I'm unfamiliar with dampening ... would changing that help any?  Would using TweakScale to increase the size to better match the truss segments help?

The trusses I'm using are from ... I believe Near Future Construction... "joint" -> large hexa-girder (2) -> "joint" -> large hexa-girder (2) -> "joint" -> large hexa-girder (2) -> "joint" -> large hexa-girder -> lg hexa-girder, AGU, rads, drills

I probably will think of another method for drilling... it looks really cool. The usability is not there... currently anyway. But this problem with robotics for me is not new.

Thanks

On 2/16/2020 at 9:47 AM, NadenH said:

I guess TweakScale is not an option. It doesn't seem to work with servos or hinges. :(

There're no patches yet for Breaking Ground.

I started toying with the blades first, and it appeared to work fine on 1.7, but something apparently changed on 1.8 and I didn't had time to investigate yet.

The blades support should be available on 2.5 Beta, if anyone is interested.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.