Explorable, interactive ship interiors!

I was just thinking I’d love if you could select Kerbals while they were inside the ships and walk around and explore/interact with the interiors, maybe operate equipment/perform experiments, suit up for EVA and cycle air locks etc! 

1 minute ago, Xd the great said:

vomittig is all I am asking for.

DISGUSTANG!

Spoiler
3 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

I was just thinking I’d love if you could select Kerbals while they were inside the ships and walk around and explore/interact with the interiors, maybe operate equipment/perform experiments, suit up for EVA and cycle air locks etc! 

Yes, me want! :D

I'd also like to add that we could use alternate interiors for parts as well.  In KSP1 for example, I'd like to use the sci-lab laid down on a planet but it bugs me to no end that that means the kerbals are sideways inside.

The problem that modders have with IVAs is threefold: 

1. They're being seen up close, meaning a lot of work goes into them, because they require very high quality textures. If the textures are sloppy, the whole thing looks bad.
2. Placing props in Unity is tedious, and the available tools do not provide any extra help.
3. They're basically useless in stock. Few players use them as a result, making this effort seem wasted. 

1 and 2 are just something that's hard to deal with, except by making better part tools (but even that could only go so far). IVAs, especially at KSP2 quality, are going to be a lot of effort no matter what. However, what can be done is making the IVAs worth all that effort. This means adding built-in functionality (stock MAS, for those that follow) and emphasizing the IVA mode in stock at the same time. The ability to walk around and manually flip switches in IVA would go a long way towards that. In KSP1, they're little more than eyecandy that can't even be seen properly most of the time. If they served a useful purpose for an average player, modders would probably be willing to spend time on them.

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

The problem that modders have with IVAs is threefold: 

1. They're being seen up close, meaning a lot of work goes into them, because they require very high quality textures. If the textures are sloppy, the whole thing looks bad.
2. Placing props in Unity is tedious, and the available tools do not provide any extra help.
3. They're basically useless in stock. Few players use them as a result, making this effort seem wasted. 

1 and 2 are just something that's hard to deal with, except by making better part tools (but even that could only go so far). IVAs, especially at KSP2 quality, are going to be a lot of effort no matter what. However, what can be done is making the IVAs worth all that effort. This means adding built-in functionality (stock MAS, for those that follow) and emphasizing the IVA mode in stock at the same time. The ability to walk around and manually flip switches in IVA would go a long way towards that. In KSP1, they're little more than eyecandy that can't even be seen properly most of the time. If they served a useful purpose for an average player, modders would probably be willing to spend time on them.

What about making a creation-kit like application solely for creating IVAs? Have pre-made kit pieces or the option to roll your own and import them. 

That's how it works already, unless you mean in-game IVA making. It would be convenient to use a dedicated app instead of Unity, but ultimately, the workflow would not change significantly. In fact, given that KSP is based on Unity, any such app would likely be based on it as well. Quality of life stuff such as better rendering, ability to use DDS textures and a nice UI for this stuff is about as far as you can take it.

I believe I know that game... it's called Stormworks.

As soon as they add orbital mechanics KSP is doomed!

Control panels in that game are sick...  people build full digital navigation systems on "display bricks" with LUA.  There's a playable Atari Asteroids video game machine you can put in your boat if you want.

Edited by XLjedi