[Solved] KSP crashes on launch. Outdated driver

So I'm using Kerbal Space Program 1.9.1 on Windows 10 with Steam, but on April 1st (Not April Fools!) it just showed "Kerbal Space Program - Unity 2019.2.2f1_ab112815d860" before crashing. So I uninstalled all of my mods, except for Module Manager and tried again, it still crashed. So I uninstalled Module Manager and tried launching it. Still nothing. So I uninstalled the game and downloaded it, but still got the error message. Any help? I -- after a bit of research-- found the logs, they are here.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G4400 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz

RAM: 8106MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

GPU: (I think) Intel Graphics 510

I'm surprised this has worked for nearly a year now.

Edited by GuessingEveryDay
New information.

• 2 weeks later...

ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FFEAAB05BC5)

0x00007FFEAAB05BC5 (d3d11) (function-name not available)

You're getting a DX11 error here, and looking at the logs it seems to be happening just after this:

<color=orange><b>[KSPSteamController]:</b> Failed to initialize Steam API!</color>

There are a few Steam API related errors further up the logs so I think Steam is causing the game to crash.

Try copying the entire KSP folder from your Steam directory (it will probably be in steam/steamapps/common) and pasting it somewhere else, like your desktop. Go into the copied KSP folder and double-click 'KSP_x64' to run the game outside of Steam's control. If this works then you can just run KSP from this folder instead, which is a good idea anyway as it won't be updated whenever a new version of KSP is released and break all your mods which aren't compatible.

You could also try installing 'Steamworks Common Redistributables' in Steam if you don't already have it, or updating/reinstalling it if you do. KSP seems to be looking for it but not finding it, and then crashing in an ugly way because it isn't there.

Definitely looks like a driver problem to me. The top of the stack in the 1.8.1 and 1.9.1 crash dumps you posted is somewhere in the Intel graphics driver. Based on the register context and what RIP was pointing to, it looks like a buffer-zeroing subroutine in the driver got passed a null pointer. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say that more recent versions of KSP depend on some functionality that your graphics hardware doesn't support - but that's just an educated guess, and graphics is not my area of expertise. In any case, the driver seems a likely culprit. Does the folder you got those logs from contain a .dmp file, and if it does could you upload it somewhere so we can take a look at it? Having the actual crash dump available might help shed some more light on what specifically went wrong.

Oh, and I'd recommend against following those instructions @jimmymcgoochie linked to. Out of that list, the only entry that's likely to help here is updating drivers, and some of the others are downright dangerous.

16 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Definitely looks like a driver problem to me. The top of the stack in the 1.8.1 and 1.9.1 crash dumps you posted is somewhere in the Intel graphics driver. Based on the register context and what RIP was pointing to, it looks like a buffer-zeroing subroutine in the driver got passed a null pointer. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say that more recent versions of KSP depend on some functionality that your graphics hardware doesn't support - but that's just an educated guess, and graphics is not my area of expertise. In any case, the driver seems a likely culprit. Does the folder you got those logs from contain a .dmp file, and if it does could you upload it somewhere so we can take a look at it? Having the actual crash dump available might help shed some more light on what specifically went wrong.

Oh, and I'd recommend against following those instructions @jimmymcgoochie linked to. Out of that list, the only entry that's likely to help here is updating drivers, and some of the others are downright dangerous.

My drivers are up-to-date, Intel Graphics 510, and I'm not sure how to send .dmp files to you. But from what I've seen, jimmymgoochie was correct about KSP trying to get something but it couldn't.

I took a look at the dump file, and it still looks like a driver problem. Maybe try uninstalling and re-installing your graphics driver? I know it probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but I don't know what else to recommend.

If anyone else reading this thread has some knowledge of the innards of Direct3D 11 and could take a look, that would be great. Graphics isn't exactly my area of expertise, and there could easily be something I'm missing.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.