Xbox Modding (Please don't call me dumb)

This is a stupid question, but can you use mods on ksp Xbox. Most forums say no, but the Xbox version still has a app launcher tab. I mean they completely reworked to game to make it xbox-compatible and wouldn't they remove it if it had no use?

It's not a dumb question, but the answer is 'no.' And it's more complicated than just 'sure, let's add mods to the game'.

Beyond the complicated technical and developmental acrobatics a mod developer would have to perform to make mods compatible with the closed-box consoles, there is actually a bigger barrier - Sony/Microsoft and games publishers don't want you to.

There's a few reasons. The first is to protect their property - opening up their console to mods allows malicious software, glitches, or just low-quality content to be used on their hardware. There are all sorts of legal implications to this.

The second is revenue. Why allow players to download additions and mods, when they could create a certified DLC and sell it? 

Ultimately, it's a combination of companies wanting to protect their property, avoid legal liability, and control the content players are exposed to. Mainly to create revenue, which makes sense, from a business point of view.

Edited by Chequers

7 hours ago, SpAcaface said:
This is a stupid question, but can you use mods on ksp Xbox. Most forums say no, but the Xbox version still has a app launcher tab. I mean they completely reworked to game to make it xbox-compatible and wouldn't they remove it if it had no use?

Are you my copy cause we have the same profile name and I just asked this question last month 

• 3 months later...
On 5/5/2020 at 7:11 PM, Chequers said:

It's not a dumb question, but the answer is 'no.' And it's more complicated than just 'sure, let's add mods to the game'.

Beyond the complicated technical and developmental acrobatics a mod developer would have to perform to make mods compatible with the closed-box consoles, there is actually a bigger barrier - Sony/Microsoft and games publishers don't want you to.

There's a few reasons. The first is to protect their property - opening up their console to mods allows malicious software, glitches, or just low-quality content to be used on their hardware. There are all sorts of legal implications to this.

The second is revenue. Why allow players to download additions and mods, when they could create a certified DLC and sell it? 

Ultimately, it's a combination of companies wanting to protect their property, avoid legal liability, and control the content players are exposed to. Mainly to create revenue, which makes sense, from a business point of view.

Right, I was pretty sure that mods were impossible, just making sure. Thanks for the explanation, cheers

• 4 months later...

With the way consoles currently are, they must be hacked to allow you to install and make use of mods and then it just comes down to there being mods compatible with that game/console combo. ... So yes, you can currently mod console games, but they require an element of hacking to function. :) Lets just hope afterwards it wont be running as the first satellite in space! :D

Edited by sumghai
Remove unnecessary bold formatting

I feel like the devs should somewhat account for this by implementing paid mods(popular mods, which can be purchased) for console players, these behave like DLC, and it means that for all the trouble, console players get acess to some of the best mods, and maybe make a STOCK PART/PLANET EDITOR

I WOULD GLADLY PAY $20 FOR IT

Because this would also allow console players to get some mods, By creating them themselves!

I feel like ksp's devs should considder this, even if it is extremely limited, maybe PC players can make mods, and they can be played, similar to how the mission builder works

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.