Scanning arm and Monolith - am I doing this wrong?

Just unlocked the scanning arm - put it on my "Science Getter" plane/car that I drive around KSC... back the thing up to a building and then on a hunch the monolith nearby... 

...and nothing.

I'm within the 'scanning radius' I checked in the SPH, the vehicle is stopped and touching the object - but it say's 'no target in range.'

So am I doing it wrong, or does it simply not pick up on those things?

There are only a very limited number of things on each CB that the scanning arms are able to scan. On Kerbin, for example, there are some crystals up in the mountains. The monoliths were a good guess -- you need to look for things that stand out as being completely different from all the other terrain surrounding them. But the things you are looking for are natural parts of the terrain.

The monoliths are something completely different. When you find a brand new one and get close to it, that counts as a World's First achievement, and you get money for it. The KSC one doesn't count at all (because the Kerbals that built KSC already found it).

Edited by bewing

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 11:49 AM, bewing said:

There are only a very limited number of things on each CB that the scanning arms are able to scan. On Kerbin, for example, there are some crystals up in the mountains. The monoliths were a good guess -- you need to look for things that stand out as being completely different from all the other terrain surrounding them. But the things you are looking for are natural parts of the terrain.

The monoliths are something completely different. When you find a brand new one and get close to it, that counts as a World's First achievement, and you get money for it. The KSC one doesn't count at all (because the Kerbals that built KSC already found it).

You know - I really appreciate you pointing out the "Worlds First" part!  I found a Monolith on Minimus standing on the side of a hill.  Once again, tried to scan it... nothing.  Stood on top of it trying to take a sample... nothing.  Planted a flag and moved on.

Revisiting this thread - I checked my 'Worlds First' notifications... and there it was.  Something!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.