[WIP] Jade's Dev Thread

JadeOfMaar

@JadeOfMaar This all looks very promising. I've also been thinking about harvesting since I'm a little bit unsatisfied with my current approach of having a few drill types for whole sets of resources but still having them be harvested individually. The idea of sifting useful resources from regolith mixtures has been on my mind for a while, we should talk more about this.

I'm interested to see how your converters end up since I think we have quite different approaches there (I just posted some thoughts about chemical converters over in my thread).

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Charle_Roger said:

@JadeOfMaar This all looks very promising. I've also been thinking about harvesting since I'm a little bit unsatisfied with my current approach of having a few drill types for whole sets of resources but still having them be harvested individually. The idea of sifting useful resources from regolith mixtures has been on my mind for a while, we should talk more about this.

I'm interested to see how your converters end up since I think we have quite different approaches there (I just posted some thoughts about chemical converters over in my thread).

I'm glad you think so. The idea to do this isn't mine but is from someone who has played Space Engineers and wants Chemistry and mining to make more sense in KSP. This what his brainstorm with me has led to.

2 hours ago, KspNoobUsernameTaken said:

@JadeOfMaar

I finally completed and tested the beamed power code. When/if you get around to making those parts I can provide a modified version of Beamed Power Standalone that can transmit any resource.

Excellent. In mid-July this new mod popped up so I've had newfound motivation to make parts which could serve as both beamed power (emitter only) and interstellar comms, and possibly making those parts for release along with the refineries. Currently, I'll only make 3 such parts and it would be very convenient if the Beamed Power plugin could piggyback on the line-of-sight and gimbal functions of LaserComm if it doesn't already provide those functions (so that I won't have to make separate models, each possibly compatible with one and not the other).

I've linked a modmaker server in my signature. If you guys are inclined, hop on in and find me. The forum hiccups lately are such a buzzkill.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

it would be very convenient if the Beamed Power plugin could piggyback on the line-of-sight and gimbal functions of LaserComm if it doesn't already provide those functions (so that I won't have to make separate models, each possibly compatible with one and not the other).

IIRC, Beamed power standalone doesn't have any line of sight functions implemented, and it has no requirements from the model. Frankly, gimbals and line-of-sight stuff is far beyond my capabilities. My fork of Beamed power has like 20 new lines of code and it took me weeks to make. You'd have to ask an actually competent mod author.

That being said, you don't need to worry about compatibility. Beamed Power Standalone could be slapped onto a random strut and it'll probably work. 

52 minutes ago, KspNoobUsernameTaken said:

IIRC, Beamed power standalone doesn't have any line of sight functions implemented, and it has no requirements from the model. Frankly, gimbals and line-of-sight stuff is far beyond my capabilities. My fork of Beamed power has like 20 new lines of code and it took me weeks to make. You'd have to ask an actually competent mod author.

That being said, you don't need to worry about compatibility. Beamed Power Standalone could be slapped onto a random strut and it'll probably work. 

:D ok. Thanks for the reminder. Forget I said anything.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

:D ok. Thanks for the reminder. Forget I said anything.

I might be able to create a "laser" transmission mode, by which I mean very low falloff at long distances. I think I've got a hang of the transmission mode code.

If you added a beamed power transmitter module configured for laser mode to LaserComm parts, it would feel like it's following the gimbal. That, of course, would be contingent upon LaserComm and Beamed Power targetting the same vessel, which I might be able to add.

Edited by KspNoobUsernameTaken

On 8/3/2024 at 2:21 PM, KspNoobUsernameTaken said:

I might be able to create a "laser" transmission mode, by which I mean very low falloff at long distances. I think I've got a hang of the transmission mode code.

On further review, this could probably be simulated by just having a ridiculously low frequency. Or, if you want to go the dyson swarm route, an insanely large transmitter dish.