QSLR or Quick Satellite Launching Rocket

Many Kerbalian media outlets have become desperate for communications in space. When the KSP engineers asked where they wanted the Satellites exactly, the main media replied with ' DUH, SPACE stupid.'

So not particularly wishing to spend lots of time getting these satellites in orbit, and such, they designed the QSLR.

screenshot0.png

Using every part that they can find, they slapped together this beauty. It can take 2 satellites up at once! Thus fulfilling there request for satellites in space that much faster!

screenshot1-1.png

After the First LFE are decoupled then the aiming platform is aimed somewhere that's not kerbal...

screenshot2.png

Then the solid boosters are lit and they are off and running!

screenshot3.png

But you don't want to go with them... so you simply decouple the satellites and they go off... to SPACE! somewhere.. but hey, the contract is completed.

screenshot4.png

Then its Back to the VAB as quickly as possible, because the less hours we put into this, the higher dollar per hour we make!

screenshot6-1.png

Ah Pretty much on target! Ill get my coat on now!

screenshot7.png

AND WE ARE HOME! good lets pack up and get out of here! I got cold brewskis in the fridge! Oh what? the Command mod? Just leave it out, we'll get it tomorrow, its not gonna rain to night or anything.....

Well actually 950 m/s at that elevation is no where near escape velocity..

So technically within 30 minutes you could see them come crashign down :P

Two points:

1. The satellites have boosters on. Depending on weight they could be going over 2100m/s at burnout.

2. The hiring parties didn't say the satellites had to stay in space...

Well even if they don't STAY in space, it's epic funny the creator put the media's opinion in.

I could see KSP media just wanting to reap profits off of their new satellite coverage insurance, plus they could blame the media outages of the falling sats as aliens attacking. Reminds me of a Dilbert comic.

(Made a conventional one that chunks 2 into space, much larger, kudos to you for making one much cooler)

Can you make one that gets 4 into space?! Or 3 into an orbit? I've tried but can't. BXs-7/9 are lighter.

they just said space, and a rapidly degrading orbit is space...... i mean hell, they stayed up there 30 mins, that's space enough for em right?

EDIT : Just tried it again, there's enough fuel in first stage to be going 2200m/s at 50,000m high.. so then you fire the boosters it will chuck em out there, but it takes longer, and there not getting paid by the hour.

Of course, none of that mattered since it was a *vertical* launch, and thus they never picked up *any* downrange velocity. The satellites'll re-enter on their ballistic trajectory in a few days... weeks... months... or years... but they'll come back.

Of course, none of that mattered since it was a *vertical* launch, and thus they never picked up *any* downrange velocity. The satellites'll re-enter on their ballistic trajectory in a few days... weeks... months... or years... but they'll come back.

It's like you didn't read my post. =(

Inspired by this, I decided to sort-of-copy your design. Voila.

It has a big first stage, a small second stage and 2 spin-stabilized solid rocketed satellites.

all except for the detachable heat shield makes it back to the surface with parachutes.

It has ullage engines on the second stage aswell.

Thanks for the inspiration!

The setup:

fE3Nb.jpg

Stage Sep / ullage engines / 2nd stage ignition

pktO9.jpg

Payload seperation!

1nMbP.jpg

Payload spinup through solid rocket engines + solid rocket propulsion engine ignition

uewRM.jpg

Off they go!

hhmYl.jpg

Seperation of the upper stage; parachutes on both stages are activated

eYS6X.jpg

descent next to the first stage, hanging from its parachutes.

RCgDk.jpg

2nd stage comes down next, close to the descent pod.

tInnk.jpg

Gah, sorry, Foamy, I should have used a quote there. I knew you didn't mean that they'd stay up; I was pointing that out to the people who were saying they wouldn't 'because you didn't reach escape velocity.'

Well, really, it's the lack of either factor that means the sats will be coming back; no lateral means no orbit, and no escape velocity means it will fall. I think most of the people pointing out the return are taking 'isn't orbiting' as given. =/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.