BobCat Ind. - Colonization, exploring and research vehicle

BobCat

I will probably get flamed for this, or its already accomplished. I respect the amount of time and energy going into these mods. Once you finish then you have the wonderful reward of hearing us praise,cry,complain, and beg. Anyway, the modders should be compensated in some way, after all they are doing the work and maintenance. Maybe a small donation through paypal from people would show that. I mean Small, dont get bent of shape and think you have to go get a loan hehe. So everyone in Bobcat, if you would list your paypal email, ill be the first to donate. Its appreciation for your work and time and super amount of patience.

No, no flames from this direction... Unfortunately Squad do not allow donating to modders (at least not on this site) :/ if they did I would have donated to Bobcat ages ago, if it wasn't for his cool mods I probably wouldn't have gotten into making mods myself.

oh i see, hmmmmm i did not think about Squad not allowing it. but i think there is a difference between donation and paying for service. i could be wrong. that is a good point you bring up. I can see thier pov also. now im thinking.........................................................

btw devogen, i like your mods, nice work with them. Thank you for all your time and work.

Edited by viperwolf

The other problem with donations is that the minute you accept money, it means you're now obligated to produce something in most countries. I know Russia is fairly lax on this, but if he uses a site like PayPal, people can still cause him a lot of grief and potentially have his account frozen if they don't "like" something he does after they donate.

As such, I choose to simply shower developers with 3 things - downloads, constructive criticism (where appropriate), and lots of support (good job, etc) for the work they do. If I can add anything like sources of information or photos, I send that their way too. That way, they are getting a material return for their work without feeling like they might get screwed over by someone down the line if they took donations. Most modders do it simply because they like it anyway. I've had several in the past in the Flight Simulation community actually get offended when someone offered them money simply because money wasn't ever in their mind as a reason to do it.

I do not see any reason to flame for that request. I would be happy to donate money if I had any to spare. As it is I sell my blood plasma just to have enough money for food. Sorry Bobcat.

Consider yourself lucky. I live in a land where if you want to donate blood plasma you have to give a test sample the first time, fill in a huge stack of paperwork, and what do you get for it? A muck, and a pen if you ask for it. Luckily prostitution is legal here, it is considered a real profession so you also must pay taxes and pay €70 to register yourself as freelancer at the dutch camber of commerce. Too bad I am male, and for male heterosexuals the demands are... Non existent. I'm a smoker, and a cigarette pack of 19 costs €5,80. It costs about €50 for an ID. Police checks ID's like it's a warzone. No ID or expired one day? €25 fine and a at worst a night in jail (and a fine). Health insurance is obligated, starts at €100 per month. You can't choose to have none, you automatically have health insurance and if you don't pay it, they send after a few months the bailiff and police to take everything you have exept for one bicycle, a chair and a tv. Rent is where I live the cheapest in the country, €300. Food is about 25% more expensive than in the States.

Be happy not to live in the Netherlands.

HOWEVER: In the Netherlands, if you donate money to anyone or any organisation, with nothing in return (no products, no service, no labor, nothing), you can subtract it (up to €90) from the part of your income that you pay taxes for. At least, when you can prove it when you do your taxes. So if donations were possible, all the dutch here could come to an agreement to donate €90 pp. That would give the community a boost (quite some dutch folks 'round here). I'd do it, if I have a part of at least €90 to pay taxes for, or even have an income at all.

Edited by MennoLente

Consider yourself lucky. I live in a land where if you want to donate blood plasma you have to give a test sample the first time, fill in a huge stack of paperwork, and what do you get for it? A muck, and a pen if you ask for it. Luckily prostitution is legal here, it is considered a real profession so you also must pay taxes and pay €70 to register yourself as freelancer at the dutch camber of commerce. Too bad I am male, and for male heterosexuals the demands are... Non existent. I'm a smoker, and a cigarette pack of 19 costs €5,80. It costs about €50 for an ID. Police checks ID's like it's a warzone. No ID or expired one day? €25 fine and a at worst a night in jail (and a fine). Health insurance is obligated, starts at €100 per month. You can't choose to have none, you automatically have health insurance and if you don't pay it, they send after a few months the bailiff and police to take everything you have exept for one bicycle, a chair and a tv. Rent is where I live the cheapest in the country, €300. Food is about 25% more expensive than in the States.

Be happy not to live in the Netherlands.

HOWEVER: In the Netherlands, if you donate money to anyone or any organisation, with nothing in return (no products, no service, no labor, nothing), you can subtract it (up to €90) from the part of your income that you pay taxes for. At least, when you can prove it when you do your taxes. So if donations were possible, all the dutch here could come to an agreement to donate €90 pp. That would give the community a boost (quite some dutch folks 'round here). I'd do it, if I have a part of at least €90 to pay taxes for, or even have an income at all.

That all sounds pretty ideal to me. The netherlands and the other nordic countries are basically heaven.

Basically, with donations to modders, it's clearly a balancing act. I'd probably be happy, if I were squad, if there was a donation split thing in place, so if for some reason a modder was donated a ton of dosh, SQUAD got some of it too. That way squad is incentivised to support modders even more.

donated a ton of dosh, SQUAD got some of it too
Step outside the thinking box a second and look at what you just said again... you realize what that would look like right? Regardless of the intent? The reason this stuff is avoided or denied is the headache it can cause - just get it out of the picture and it saves a lot of potential trouble.

Obviously, things work better without mod donations. Part of the reasons mods are so great is that they're done purely for love (and to put on the members CV's). Donations would ruin that.

-snip-

Same red tape with first donations here. They also screen you every time you go in after that and if any numbers are out of range twice in one week you get deferred for a month.

Also as for the health insurance, that is exactly what they want to do here in the states. Not sure what I am going to do about that.

Consider yourself lucky. I live in a land where if you want to donate blood plasma you have to give a test sample the first time, fill in a huge stack of paperwork, and what do you get for it? A muck, and a pen if you ask for it.

That is how it should be.

Giving need not always be regarded as an investment from which one should expect a material return.

BobCat, I took the liberty of tweaking the config files for the Jool V so it will work with .20. If you'd like, I'd be happy to turn over the updated files to you. Let me know if you'd like to have them. :)

Is it my imagination or has the Soviet Pack been updated for .20? According to Spaceport, it was updated on the 25th, yet I still can't get it to install correctly, despite trying all of the recommendations I have seen on the forums. I extracted everything into the GameData subdirectory, yet I keep getting the Run Unit Test error. Am I mistaken about it being updated? If not, can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong, please? Thanks.

I could be mistaken, but has the Soviet Pack according to SpacePort, it was updated a couple days ago; yet, despite having been you directory format, nothing I do will get this to work. Over and over, I getting the Run Unit Tests error. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Or am I just mistaken about it being updated for .20?

Thanks for your help!

Is it my imagination or has the Soviet Pack been updated for .20? According to Spaceport, it was updated on the 25th, yet I still can't get it to install correctly, despite trying all of the recommendations I have seen on the forums. I extracted everything into the GameData subdirectory, yet I keep getting the Run Unit Test error. Am I mistaken about it being updated? If not, can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong, please? Thanks.

The Soviet Pack and the Home Pack have now both been updated.

Okay, I just tried that and still no success. This is really making me feel stupid, and I'm not stupid, just like this isn't my first time dealing with installing add-ons. I know it's going to be something ridiculously silly, something right in front of my eyes, and the fact that I can't see it is frustrating me to no end. Can you take a screen of how to tree is supposed to look? Also, what is the current version for the new .20 Soviet pack?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.