Land on Stuff

unk Tantor umgawa

3 Kerbal capsule to Duna and back, to KSC terrain, stock only. Used three accelerating slingshots and two decelerating slingshots, four aero braking manoevures including two reentries.

duna_launch.jpg

With a small retrograde adjustment the first slinghot trajectory allowed a second slingshot from Mün and saved some of fuel.

duna_slingshot01.jpg

After a standard deceleration in Duna SOI a braking slingshot ahead of Ike dropped the ship in a little closer to Duna. A small adjustment to periapsis allowed an aerobraking manoevure at 15km. The landing trajectory was flat to take advantage of aerobraking again.

duna_encounter.jpg

Very pretty, the boys like orange, matches their jumpsuits. Also the yellow sky sets of the radioactive hazard logos nicely. Took off again using atomic rockets as per...

duna_landed.jpg

Second slingshot form Ike was near perfect, gave a big boost to retrograde manoevures about half the necessary reduction of PE. After retro burn and coast to PE at Kerbin altitude on the other side of Kerbol, a retro burn made intercept with Kerbin. After corrections the intercept was technically a braking slingshot and aerobraking manoevure (at 38km) in one.

duna_slingshot02.jpg

A little tweaking of orbits and patience allowed an aerobraking assisted powered landing at KSC, the fuel ran out about 1m above the ground, I kid you not! Without the slingshots and aerobraking it would not have been possible to land under power. But there was a parachute and capsule decoupler backup, just in case.

duna_KSC.jpg

Nice mission booly, I like the way you presented your images and the cube-like rocket. :) Your landing back at KSC reminds me of when I once threw an aircraft together to visit KSC 2. I landed at the runway site with 0.1l of fuel left, I kid you not!

The only thing about your mission is that I'm sure using a Munar slingshot for interplanetary maneuvers is actually detrimental. Scott Manley (he knows his orbital maths) did some calculations during the experimentals to prove the point after Tosh suggested using the Mun to get to other planets. I'd link you to the post but it's a testers only area. From what I understand you're better off burning deeper in Kerbin's gravity well to take advantage of the Oberth Effect. Find the optimum ejection angle from Kerbin orbit and just burn like crazy, avoiding Mun and Minmus.

In 0.17x1 Moho's orbital distance was about half what it is now (1.5-1.8Mm) so I used to slingshot around Eve to slow down and change planes - slingshots are really rewarding when you pull them off!

Try that from Eve. :) I haven't heard of anyone who's done that yet.

Find out when I get off work :)

I have a specially built spaceplane that I got into orbit around eve earlier.

It was designed to be able to land on Eve(the easy part) explore a bit and then take off.

I will post the results in 8 hours when I get back from work.

Has anyone landed on Gilly yet? As I slowly touched down, I sank into deep dust... then catastrophically exploded! See pic, it caught me by surprise, so I didn't get a really clear pic of my ship sinking.

ghL8w.jpg

Ah you are using mods, that's cheating!

Hello ladies and gentlemen! I am proud to announce the success of The Stack at making a Duna and Ike landing! For the second time going to Duna (first try resulted in me being stuck in orbit...) it isn't that bad! All was done stock and eyeballed (I only check the angle at which duna and kerbin must be for intercept... even then i think i messed it up...) I did plan for an Orbit and Return stylr mission, but i changed idea when i reached my initial goal. And here goes the pictures! (image heavy!)

As you can see, the interplanetary stage and the orbiting/extra stage are supported by the patented Stack. There might be a bit "too much" trust in that ascent stage, but Jeb begs to differ!

screenshot0y.png

Only at 12k meters and we already spent the majority of the Stack!

screenshot1vl.png

Orbiting nice and low... perfect for an interplanetary trip!

screenshot4dr.png

Now that the main ascent engine is used, nuclear power, here it comes!

screenshot6vq.png

The 6 nuclear rockets really make for a great deep space stage! Now, Time for the Warp!

screenshot9ne.png

About half-way there... time to make some adjustments

screenshot11re.png

Ok... after a good minute trying to make the camera look at the right thing, i can see we may need to go a bit south

screenshot12w.png

Now we shall get that periapsis down to a reasonable lenght!

screenshot15d.png

Meh... good enough!

screenshot17kr.png

I burned at the SoI limit and got the periapsis just about right

screenshot26d.png

Great view of Ike and Duna as i get closer and closer...

screenshot25lu.png

Didn't want to over do it, but nicely done, without spent fuel!

screenshot27i.png

After all that trouble, I'm in a nice round and low orbit around duna.... with a lot, and i mean LOTS of fuel left (enough to get back to kerbin after a landing, i'm pretty sure of it...) Instead, why don't we go to Ike!

screenshot28v.png

After a short burn, Ike is closing in!

screenshot29tx.png

Some more burns, and more circularizing...

screenshot40h.png

If you somehow forgot your landing legs, the engine can still do the job... Is it me or the rocket seems ready to tip over? Also.. notice the fuel left...

screenshot34n.png

I think Jeb is pretty happy about how tings turned out!

screenshot35n.png

Yup. Theses rocks looks like the lunar one you saw last time Jeb...

screenshot36j.png

Goodbye, trusty 2nd stage!

screenshot38e.png

Space really is beautiful!

screenshot39r.png

OK, this seems about right for a landing...

screenshot41u.png

Another look a Duna, but from upclose!

screenshot42dc.png

After 106 days, Jeb seems happy to get ready for impact!

screenshot43q.png

I just tipped over a little... at least this makes for a decent base, right?

screenshot48n.png

Don't worry Jeb, someone will come for you... one day!

screenshot46i.png

Here goes my 2nd trip to Duna and my first successful landing on both Ike and Duna. Rescue mission should be underway shortly...

Edit: about Gilly, i had the same problem, my ship just went boom (and Bill too, then i quickloaded to try with a ship...) after sinking up to the capsule... also, i got this surprise when i entered gilly's SoI...:

screenshot0aq.png
Edited by PictoKong
Added the part about Gilly

Edit: about Gilly, i had the same problem, my ship just went boom (and Bill too, then i quickloaded to try with a ship...) after sinking up to the capsule... also, i got this surprise when i entered gilly's SoI...:

screenshot0aq.png

I had similar issues with Gilly, I made a video!

I also landed on Duna, I was going to attempt a powered landing but a mountain jumped up in front of me and I had to drop that stage and go for parachutes:

D0z34.png

jvM3v.png

I went to Duna today! Made a powered landing, left behind a descent stage, and returned safely to Kerbin. My lander weighs 140 tons fueled. :)

cTpvd.jpg

Nothing like that feeling when, after many explosions, you finally touch down, switch off your engines, and everything goes quiet. :D

Gilly and Bop have been broken since the first experimentals. I'm sure Squad will issue a hotfix to sort it out in the near future.

@ Basbr: The number of times I've forgotten things and realised wayyy too late. When I first got to Tylo in X1 I entered my terminal descent phase and realised my lander had no legs... Also on Duna the gravity is just such that you'd be able to get back in using the jetpack!

I went to Duna today! Made a powered landing, left behind a descent stage, and returned safely to Kerbin. My lander weighs 140 tons fueled. :)

cTpvd.jpg

Nothing like that feeling when, after many explosions, you finally touch down, switch off your engines, and everything goes quiet. :D

What did that weight on the pad?

What did that weight on the pad?

E5JxP.jpg

The pad weight of the full stack is 1295 tons. It doesn't quite get the lander into transfer orbit; I have to burn a little bit of the descent stage's fuel to get to Duna. It's turning out a pretty capable ship - I took a Kerbin -> Eve -> Jool -> Kerbin trip with it last night, but didn't think I had enough fuel left to land on anything.

The pad weight of the full stack is 1295 tons. It doesn't quite get the lander into transfer orbit; I have to burn a little bit of the descent stage's fuel to get to Duna. It's turning out a pretty capable ship - I took a Kerbin -> Eve -> Jool -> Kerbin trip with it last night, but didn't think I had enough fuel left to land on anything.

E5JxP.jpg

That looks pretty kerbal(/insane)! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.