Challenge: use only IVA to the Mun

• 2 months later...
36 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

Is stage view allowed? you know, the little box on the bottom left of the screen where it tells you your apoapsis and periapsis?

Can you show a picture of it, I never used it before.

24 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

i mean this

MDKgODO.png

it's visible from IVA, and it simplifies orbiting a fair bit. right now, my main concern is how to make sure i get into mun orbit instead of crashing into it. i may just be able to eyeball it without that little screen

Yup, you can use this.

Finally, I got some attention!

Here it is, full mission to Mun and back.

I go out of IVA a couple of times during the inbound trip, just to show stuff around for a viewer. I don't use them in any way.

Orbit is easy enough, i don't need visual information for it except speed and navball and apoapsis/periapsis. I miss altitude, but i can manage without. i used as ssto, a modified version of one i used countless times in challenges, just for the sake of it.

I eyeballed the mun intercept, and i completely missed it, but it was no big deal; my apoapsis intercepted its orbit, an intercept was only a matter of time. i got there a couple orbits later.

once in mun orbit, i looked at my periapsis to know when it was time to make the injection burn, and again to circularize. i eyeballed the descent, i mostly made a suicide burn, quite inefficiently, but i was packing a lot more fuel than needed because i knew i'd be inefficient. what i missed most was the ability to hold prograde/retrograde.

once landed, i went out of IVA to plant a flag on the surface (of course, can't do it otherwise), but I went back in IVA before restarting the engine. again i eyeballed the kerbin transfer, this time it went more poorly, i was stuck with a periapsis of 5000 km and i had to burn a lot to get into a reentry trajectory. again, i had more than enough fuel. i did a couple aerobraking passes through the atmosphere, then i plunged in. i burned the rest of my fuel to make my ship lighter.

here i made one minor slip: i went out of IVA to open the cargo bays on the sides of the command module, where i had stored the parachutes. i had no way to do it from inside. this was a bit of forgetfulness on my part; i could have easily left them open since the beginning of the trip, since i spend the whole time in the atmosphere inside a fairing. anyway, i didn't and i had to go out of IVA to give a single command, i hope this does not disqualify me

This might be a bit of a gate-crasher entry, but I completed a fully stock (KSP 1.8.1 - a fully stock version without DLC that I curated to do the Caveman challenge, as well as other fully stock challenges) IVA Duna landing and return.

I launched my Duna lander on top of a two-stage booster during a Duna transfer window, which I determined manually before the flight. Once in LKO I started my transfer burn once the Sun disappeared behind Kerbin and burned until I got an approach with Duna. In order to get approach info in the bottom-left display, I selected Duna as target on the map screen before the launch. I then time-accelerated to the half-way point as indicated by the time to target indicator, where I did a course correction burn. This was a simple matter of trial and error - just like you would do when planning a maneuver, but rather than plan the maneuver, I burned my engine in brief bursts.

Once inside Duna's SOI I fine-tuned my periapse for aerocapture before landing on the next orbit. Once landed I performed a brief EVA to reset the craft's parachutes before time-accelerating to the next Duna-to-Kerbin transfer window (which I predetermined by hand, just like the Kerbin-to-Duna window) and taking off, having set Kerbin as my target in the map screen before take-off. Once in Low Duna orbit I used the ejection angle to gauge when to start the Kerbin transfer burn - I had determined the optimal angle before the mission with some trial and error. I used the approach info to stop the transfer burn once I got a Kerbin encounter. I then performed another midcourse correction burn, using the same procedure as before. 

Back in Kerbin's SOI I fine-tuned my periapse and did another aerocapture. Since my craft was optimized for Duna aerobraking, I took care not to go too deeply inside Kerbin's atmosphere to avoid overheating. As a result I did not quite lose enough speed for capture, so I did a short retrograde burn to capture and get my apoapse below Munar orbit, as I did not want to risk a Mun encounter.  I then performed several additional aerobrake passes before landing on Kerbin.

Note: I also completed an IVA Mun landing (including Kerbin rendez-vous), but I already entered that mission in a different IVA challenge, so I won't re-enter it here. If you're interested: https://youtu.be/eWeMqYsmX10

Edited by QF9E

On 12/17/2020 at 3:02 AM, QF9E said:

This might be a bit of a gate-crasher entry, but I completed a fully stock (KSP 1.8.1 - a fully stock version without DLC that I curated to do the Caveman challenge, as well as other fully stock challenges) IVA Duna landing and return.

I launched my Duna lander on top of a two-stage booster during a Duna transfer window, which I determined manually before the flight. Once in LKO I started my transfer burn once the Sun disappeared behind Kerbin and burned until I got an approach with Duna. In order to get approach info in the bottom-left display, I selected Duna as target on the map screen before the launch. I then time-accelerated to the half-way point as indicated by the time to target indicator, where I did a course correction burn. This was a simple matter of trial and error - just like you would do when planning a maneuver, but rather than plan the maneuver, I burned my engine in brief bursts.

Once inside Duna's SOI I fine-tuned my periapse for aerocapture before landing on the next orbit. Once landed I performed a brief EVA to reset the craft's parachutes before time-accelerating to the next Duna-to-Kerbin transfer window (which I predetermined by hand, just like the Kerbin-to-Duna window) and taking off, having set Kerbin as my target in the map screen before take-off. Once in Low Duna orbit I used the ejection angle to gauge when to start the Kerbin transfer burn - I had determined the optimal angle before the mission with some trial and error. I used the approach info to stop the transfer burn once I got a Kerbin encounter. I then performed another midcourse correction burn, using the same procedure as before. 

Back in Kerbin's SOI I fine-tuned my periapse and did another aerocapture. Since my craft was optimized for Duna aerobraking, I took care not to go too deeply inside Kerbin's atmosphere to avoid overheating. As a result I did not quite lose enough speed for capture, so I did a short retrograde burn to capture and get my apoapse below Munar orbit, as I did not want to risk a Mun encounter.  I then performed several additional aerobrake passes before landing on Kerbin.

Note: I also completed an IVA Mun landing (including Kerbin rendez-vous), but I already entered that mission in a different IVA challenge, so I won't re-enter it here. If you're interested: https://youtu.be/eWeMqYsmX10

Congrats, you won the challenge!

Edited by T-20000

A bit late to the party but here's my "tunnel vision mode" attempt:

• IVA only
  • Hidden UI (F2)
  • Zoomed in at all times
  • No saving or loading
  • Craft is the stock Kerbal X

Edited by silks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.