Mockheed Lartin RLV-I and RLV-II

So before I realized there are radial parachutes out there now, I've been trying to figure out how to build a completely recoverable craft that was capable of orbiting and all parts returning safely to Kearth. The first design is the ML Recoverable Launch Vehicle I (RLV-I).

uDbcN.jpg

qyGBz.jpg

The radial decouplers holding the mini boosters are set to stage 0 and meant to be purely a support structure. At the top of each mini SRB is a tri-canopy parachute unit, and the boosters are fired upon launch to minimize excess weight immediately.

kv588.jpg

The landing struts are angled so as to not be destroyed by the SRBs, and the SRBs are angle so as not to destroy the struts.

nmR3D.jpg

Despite the low impact threshold for Sunday Punch's extended tanks, the landing impact is slowed enough that it spreads easily through the three tanks.

This of course lead to something a bit more complicated. Because, why the hell wouldn't it?

The RLV-II has the RLV-I at its core. Literally. Right smack dab in the middle and everything:

Zkx4m.jpg

The big solid boosters have parachutes, and a high-enough impact threshold, they usually survive. On top of the RLV-II is the reusable command module. Like the RLV-I it also takes advantage of the radial-decouplers-as-parachute-holding-thingies design, and initial testing showed it was capable of safely landing even with the weight of a full liquid fuel tank, as well as full solid boosters:

RJjGs.jpg

u2vKy.jpg

Which is of course what the fine folks at Mockheed Lartin meant to do. Safety first, and all that! This means if a launch fails to make orbit, you don't have to fight a rocket just so you can burn out your tanks and land, you can fall right out of the sky immediately. This means a quicker turn-around for astronauts, which unfortunately are hard to train.

Very nice, I approve of the reusable and safe design efforts :)

And very cunning, astronauts are indeed expensive difficult to train so they should have at least some effort to keep them in mostly one piece!

And very cunning, astronauts are indeed expensive difficult to train so they should have at least some effort to keep them in mostly one piece!

Turns out, they're delicious as well!

Rocket Surgeon, I had no idea those had a proper name! You have no idea how long I spent trying to come up with a kerbal equivalent of Boeing or Rockwell.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.