Recreate Interstellar Docking scene in KSP (NOT SO MINOR SPOILERS!!!)

What's your favorite scene from Interstellar?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite scene from the movie:

• The "Mountains" Scene.
    • The Docking Scene.
    • The Black Hole Scene.
    • The Wormhole Scene.
    • The Library Scene.
    • Other.

So i just watched Interstellar on friday and it was great, but one scene in particular caught my eye.

The docking scene was full of amazing CGI and emotion and once it was over i instantly wondered if it was possible to do something like that in Kerbal Space Program.

So here's the Challenge:

1: Dock a ship to another vehicle spinning very VERY fast.

2: Do it within ONE MINUTE of the start of the procedure.

3: Use any ships you wan't but i will paste a link to the Endurance mod AND the Event Horizon Mod if you want to be true to the film.

Record your attempt and post it here so you can get your TOTALLY NOT FAKE PRIZE BECAUSE THIS CHALLENGE IS ONLY ABOUT PRIZES AND NOT ABOUT HAVING ANY FUN!!!

Good Luck!

Mods:

Docking Scene, for reference (SPOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRSSSSSS):

Edited by Minmus Taster

Do docking ports in KSP even care about relative spin about the docking axis? If not, this shouldn't be significantly more difficult than a normal docking.

Actually, with no time pressure, it's shouldn't be too hard to match spins, either. It seems like the main difficulty in the scene (realistically or otherwise) comes from the urgency and the fact that the vessels are presumably deep enough in the atmosphere to experience non-trivial (and different!) amounts of drag. Which does definitely make docking harder — I know because I've tried it. :P And it was indeed really tense.

For an extreme version of this challenge, put the target docking port somewhere not on the axis of rotation. :cool: It should still be possible, but depending on the rotation speed and the distance from the axis (and the orientation of the port) it could be anywhere from slightly more difficult to damn near impossible.

hmmmmm............
*spins two probes at 400rps and docks them, creating an intense tear in spacetime, sucking the entire solar system into a strange new galaxy where theres nebulas everywhere and oh god all the planets arent orbiting kerbol as they are now orbiting a massive black hole thats pretty far away*

19 hours ago, vyznev said:

Do docking ports in KSP even care about relative spin about the docking axis?

Stock Docking ports don't really care how they are oriented relative to each other.
However, there do is a parameter that can be applied to a docking port to force it to only connect at certain angles (unused in stock).
Certain mods with non-circular docking ports make use of that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.