Pretty Cool Centrifuge Design

MR L A

This week I went on the internet and I found this...mESzqoO.png

Apart from channeling my inner Clarkson there, I thought this was a brillaint way of deploying a centrifuge! Anyone tried it in KSP yet? I will be shortly, thats for sure! The thing is "self-deploying" in that the spin itself pulls out the arms and I thought that was super clever - but also it should have been SO obvious to me lol

Personally, I love a good centifuge, but building them in orbit its painful... but not quite as painful (in my humble opinion) as seeing them stuck on top of a rocket like some sort of giant hat (not a very good hat mind).

The whole, fascinating article, can be found HERE and I thoroughly recommend having a look through.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I've not seen it here if it has - but there's always a chance. Besides, might give some current regulars a new idea or two :)

Happy building folks!

6 hours ago, MR L A said:

Anyone tried it in KSP yet?

I have crane in that configurantion that spreading spider legs with terier engines and landing legs.

There is a need to toggle locking joints ands start with locked. Only way to deploy it o desired angle is in space (robotic parts are not that powerefull, I checked in upper atmosphere and there were servo still moving information), then locking againg. Iguess there be some docking part to not overconstrain deployment.

I’m not sure that a self-deploying ring structure like that would be possible in KSP due to the inherent limitations of the game- it doesn’t work well with loops, for example. There are some centrifugal modules in the Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux (SSPXR) mod which include inflatable and deployable versions of different sizes, maybe one of those will do what you want?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.