Solid Gilly

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The challenge factor where would be landing on a body with practically 0Gs without fine inputs.

I would just use sepratrons to get within 50m/s of the correct value and then lithobrake.

I'm actually gonna try doing this challenge and see how I end up doing.

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

The challenge factor where would be landing on a body with practically 0Gs without fine inputs.

I developed some tech a while ago that might be useful here. If it works for docking in orbit, it should work for a Gilly landing. Those are basically the same thing anyway. ;)

FPcI5kp.png

In VAB. I purposely over-engineered this because this is the first time I've actually tried doing a solid fuel only mission.

DFNJGCv.png

Launch with the Clydesdale booster

arxgrAy.png

Circularizing orbit with the Thumper booster. First major sign of overengineering here - the Hammer booster was supposed to be the orbital insertion stage but instead I just left it in orbit because I can't really use it for the Eve transfer.

Kfmpsb9.png

Six Shrimp boosters provide the Eve transfer

Vpfon5v.png

Fine tuning Eve encounter with a few stages of Sepratrons

sGCQB9f.png

Aerobraking

a64sv20.png

Shrimp booster raises orbit at the right altitude to get a good Gilly intersect. From here it's all Sepratrons

FAfLKvr.png

Fine tuning Gilly encounter

b8Kq1GE.png

I can't get the landing burn exact so I get close then lithobrake the rest of the way.

D1otQFW.png

Landing burn

WtvTVWg.png

Second major sign of overengineering - only the top ring of Sepratrons was intended to land on Gilly, hence the absurdly low TWR of some of the upper stages. At least I know I have way more delta-v than needed to get home.

mtZHopr.png

I wait until Gilly's facing in about the right direction and then burn straight upward. I can't get enough fine control to get into an orbit first.

gGuprOH.png

Shrimp booster detaches

n78qkC9.png

Eve escape burn  - very inefficient because I do have the margin required

UtxklDR.png

Fine tuning Kerbin encounter

FwN9ulD.png

Fine tune burn

SEhjiYt.png

Burning off the rest of the solid fuel to make aerobraking easier

hmT8P12.png

Aerobraking

gG6vBrP.png

Parachute deployed

Ttzteyj.png

Successfully landed back home

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.