Stock 0.17 Community Session!

Guard13007

Stock 0.17 Community Session

A brick will go anywhere if you get enough people together.

(updated Oct 12 at 3:03 am) [ALL TIMES ARE IN UTC]

Welcome to the official-ly sponsored by Guard13007 Industries Community Session! Here I'm dedicated to half-assed running a thread where anyone can participate in an ongoing save file of many multiple missions to everywhere! Have a half-baked idea and want to try to land it next to someone else's INSANITY ROVER? You've come to the right place.

Please ask any questions you have, or comment any recommendations and whatnot, in the thread. Also, while I will try to keep up with everything (and have been doing fairly well so far, if I do say so myself), I have a thing called "real life" getting in the way of what I really want to do. Look at the time last updated listed above to see when I last bothered to update anything!

~~~RULES~~~

1. Make a post to claim your slot. Every day at 11:59 pm UTC it becomes the next person's turn, whether you have completed your mission or not. Here's a convenient UTC clock. ONLY ONE MISSION SLOT can be claimed by one player at a time. Complete your previous mission to get a new one.
    • Missions can be a plane flight, setting up a base (anywhere you like), getting a satellite into any orbit, etc. A mission that is not acceptable is testing a design, this save is for flights, not tests. Flights that are completed (flight is ended) in one player turn (one person does the whole mission) are discouraged but allowed.
    • However, you can end a flight by landing the crew back at KSC or near KSC, whether it is your mission or not. No ending flights that are not near KSC, even if they are stranded with no way back (there is always a way).
    • You get everlasting glory if you can recover crew that were abandoned somewhere. You get slightly less glory for clearing out dangerous space junk. You get slightly more glory for not leaving around space junk. Glory is not redeemable or countable or useful in any way, too bad.

[*]When you go for a mission, first, make sure it is your turn (the person whose turn is before you has either uploaded their update, or it is past their deadline, but not past yours). Then, set your debris to unlimited BEFORE you bring in the save, and remember that you only get one flight, if you screw it up, you've screwed it up. If you wish to try again, Restart the flight, don't end it and grab crew after crew. Else, let the debris free and upload your failure.

[*]Save your rocket/plane/etc design inside the Ships folder with the save. This way, the shared save not only holds current flights, but a repository of designs for others to try (in case someone wants a mission but doesn't want to have to make something). Name your flight something other than the design name when you actually fly it though. Vulgar, childish, or otherwise offensive names are not allowed.

• It's okay if you forget to change the name or choose not to, but it makes it more interesting if there are more than one copy of the same ship out there to have different names for them.

[*]When you are done with your mission, make a new post with an update, so that people subscribed to the thread can see, and the next person can know it is their turn (if they wish to go ahead of schedule). For your update, just say what the name of the ship is and where you've put it (although it is more helpful to use the forms below).

[*]And of course, STOCK PARTS ONLY. *Insert generic rant about how people don't read the full post and all the rules.*

Flight Request Form

This form is not necessary, but it helps things stay organized. At least tell us the name of your flight and where you are going.

Name of Mission: Avenger III [This is the name of the vehicle you are flying.]

Design to Launch: X3-IV mk2 rocket [This is the name of the design as it sits in the SPH/VAB.]

Goal of Mission: Land on Duna. [Don't need too many details, just where you want to end up.]

Flight Completion Form

Again, not required, but requested respectfully and all.

Name of Mission: Avenger III [same thing as above.]

Status of Mission: Crashed./In Kerbol orbit (ran out of fuel)./In Kerbin orbit (part failure). [basically, a brief explanation of where you are, and why you're there (if it isn't where you intended to go).]

YOUR TURN: Guard13007 [if you happen to know the username of the next player whose turn it is, yell at them in this field.]

New Save File: http://www./?s73x1t0tf48j2by

Missions Completed

Missions Scheduled

How to participate...

If you've never done this sort of thing with files and stuff:

On Windows you have a folder called KSP_win/saves/, on a Mac it is KSP_osx/saves/. When you download a save from someone else on here, you need to copy the folder called "Community Session" from the ZIP file into the saves folder. If you want to use a design from another save, copy it from KSP_(win or osx)/saves/(name of save)/Ships/(SPH or VAB) to the same folder in the Community Session folder. When you are done, make a new ZIP file (on Windows, right-click -> New -> Compressed (zipped) Folder) and copy the "Community Session" folder into it, upload this file.

I'm sorry, I know this isn't the best guide, but hope it helps...someone... >.> IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS! Ask and you shall receive.

The Stock 0.17 Community Session is sponsored by Guard13007 Industries.

Check check me out. ^^ See you in space.

Edited by sal_vager

Sounds like fun, the Kerbanal Aeronautics and space administration (K.A.S.A) would be only too happy to partake in such an event, pencil me in for KTS-001 ill start off simple, with a Alan Shepherd style sub orbital flight =D

and ill get started right away if its all the same with you?

Sounds like fun, the Kerbanal Aeronautics and space administration (K.A.S.A) would be only too happy to partake in such an event, pencil me in for KTS-001 ill start off simple, with a Alan Shepherd style sub orbital flight =D

and ill get started right away if its all the same with you?

Okay, so the forums are saying you posted this at 9 pm GMT, it is 3 am GMT, so technically you missed your slot and it is DArkB0mb3rz22's turn because of this (look at rules, things are being run off of GMT). I will let it slide this once, since the idea is new and you may have misread it/misunderstood, but if you don't have an updated save posted by midnight GMT today (Aka Sept 24, it's 3 am right now for instance, look at the link from the first post about what time it is), it's the next person's turn.

And at you DArkB0mb3rz22, same thing, once K.A.S.A. has posted or if it gets past midnight, it'll be your turn.

In conclusion/to clarify! Times are based on a 24-hour day that is already in place and things will keep spinning even if we don't keep up, not based on 24 hours from when you post that you will be going for it.

@K.A.S.A: Oo Since when do mods have to approve posts? Is it because you are trying to post with an attachment?

As far as emailing it to me, I set this up the way I did so I don't have to closely moderate it, because I don't have the time to check back often enough to keep things running smoothly, I want it to have the ability to run itself with my occasional glance and update of the first post (and possibly fly my own missions).

Edit: If you want to email it in anyways (with no guarantee I will get the new version posted in time), [email protected] is my address.

@ everyone else: I'll add you to the list right now.

@DArkB0mb3rz22: If K.A.S.A. can't get this problem resolved by 7 pm Sept 25 GMT (giving him one day from when I'm posting this) you are clear to go for your mission, and have until 11:59 pm Sept 26 GMT to run your mission.

ive done my mission and i have the file uploaded to mediafire here: http://www./?fi5xk2nik0qi1a0

Mods may have to approve my posts because im new i know a lot of forums place this probation on new members for the first month or so to make sure they aren't a spam bot or griefer.

I also took a video of my flight which will be on you tube soon, ill post the video(s) as soon as i have edited it

Rules updated, slight change, but mostly just a minor edit for readability.

Oh, and a new form for requesting flights, not required, but requested, because it looks nicer and allows me to say in the logs exactly what people are planning or have done, without having to troll through the files. ALSO! It just came to me there should be a similar form for completed flights (again, not required, but requested politely). I will go make this edit now.

ive done my mission and i have the file uploaded to mediafire here: http://www./?fi5xk2nik0qi1a0

Mods may have to approve my posts because im new i know a lot of forums place this probation on new members for the first month or so to make sure they aren't a spam bot or griefer.

I also took a video of my flight which will be on you tube soon, ill post the video(s) as soon as i have edited it

Oh, alright, sorry, and I did not know about that (when I signed up, they didn't have that policy). Great timing!

I was thinking about encouraging/required videos of flights (cause it would be so awesome) but decided against it because it can put off people. I think it's excellent to have records though, make sure you post that once you get it up. ^^

@DArkB0mb3rz22: Your turn. Your mission is due on 11:59 pm Sept 25 GMT.

its rendering now, i dont think its fair to require folks to post video records, simply because the only game recorder i find worth my effort is Fraps, and its around £20 for the full version. I happen to have the full version anyway so i dont mind making videos, but i would definitely encourage others to make videos if they are able if nothing else others can see your attempts and give creative criticism

First post I finished updating it now, please re-read it. The only things to note, times are based on 11:59 rather than midnight (makes it easier to say dates, is it the 24th or 25th when it is exactly between them?, etc), and I have finished making the new flight request/completed forms. Yay shiny.

its rendering now, i dont think its fair to require folks to post video records, simply because the only game recorder i find worth my effort is Fraps, and its around £20 for the full version. I happen to have the full version anyway so i dont mind making videos, but i would definitely encourage others to make videos if they are able if nothing else others can see your attempts and give creative criticism

Yeah, like I said, I thought of it, but quickly dismissed it. Although my reasoning wasn't charge (Bandicam works great for me, and I used the free version for a while before getting it), but rather, a lot of us have low-powered machines and it's already hard enough to run KSP sometimes.

In reply to your PM, I'm going to add your second mission to the schedule, and just remember, the schedule may be a day per flight, or it could end up being much faster, so we really don't know when it will end up. If it ends up on Friday, then you miss your slot and it is no big deal (there's no punishment for signing up and missing your time, it's understandable things get in the way).

The reason I won't change your slot if it ends up on a Friday is because it would throw it way off for others, I might accidentally have someone miss their time by changing your time and giving them Friday, because they were expecting to go on Saturday. I figure once a day should be often enough to check to see what time your current slot is for, and I should avoid messing with the schedule.

thats fine if it ends up on friday im sure there will be an open slot early next week.

on the subject of game recorders. im only running a duel core cellron KSP can be laggy in places at any time, but fraps works really well, i dont seem to experience any frame rate issues and the video comes our in 30fps no matter what. i just need to set it to make one continuous video instead of 5 minute snip-its. worth the £23

thats fine if it ends up on friday im sure there will be an open slot early next week.

on the subject of game recorders. im only running a duel core cellron KSP can be laggy in places at any time, but fraps works really well, i dont seem to experience any frame rate issues and the video comes our in 30fps no matter what. i just need to set it to make one continuous video instead of 5 minute snip-its. worth the £23

Right now, I've got to go (yay real life) but I'll be thinking about coming up with a better system for scheduling, to allow it to be more flexible for people while not letting people lose their place so-to-speak. I think I should just leave it, close enough, but not 100% sure (never done anything like this before xD).

On the totally off-topic recording subject, I've heard from so many people fraps is an ass, and then I have recently started hearing more about it handling things better, but then I still hear of horror stories. I haven't touched it because I haven't had a need for anything other than what I've got, but I think I will give it another chance someday (when I have the time..time, the thing I NEVER HAVE ANYMORE).

Says the one who has been on here editing this thread for a few hours or something... >.> I basically spent today's free time. xD

Edit: If you wish to continue discussion about stuff besides flights on here and such, we should move it to PMs because it is off-topic and that's bad and stuff.

Edit: If you wish to continue discussion about stuff besides flights on here and such, we should move it to PMs because it is off-topic and that's bad and stuff.

understood, discussion is wrapped up now anyway.

As requested here is my video, we should probably add a link to the completed section of the post after each mission, i have set up all my videos for this project in a play list for ease of assess, if you dont want to miss an episode just hit that subscribe button

Signing up for my own mission, the "proper" way.

Name of Mission: Allan's Exodus

Design to Launch: B-Tex shuttle.

Goal of Mission: Get into a circular orbit above Kerbin. The idea is to get a Kerbal that has been nicknamed "Allan" off the surface. He is a menace to society.

And here I was thinking that I had until midnight to do this. Then I remembered, its GMT. I only have 20 minutes!

I might be a few minutes late on this one, sorry guys! >.<

Edit: Never mind, just bump me down to the end of the list, I obviously need more practice with this.

Edited by DArkB0mb3rz22

And here I was thinking that I had until midnight to do this. Then I remembered, its GMT. I only have 20 minutes!

I might be a few minutes late on this one, sorry guys! >.<

Edit: Never mind, just bump me down to the end of the list, I obviously need more practice with this.

There is no "bumping" you missed your slot and have signed up for a new flight. xD Not that it makes any difference in the eyes of the thread.

Anyhow, list has been updated for this. And if people signing up and then not making it starts to become a problem, I will start keeping track of it and people who abuse the thread will get nasty phone calls. Just saying. I don't want this to die. xD

----

So basbr, your turn, right on schedule! Keep up and get a flight going!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.