Have you had a close encounter with debris (close encounter for this is within 5km)?

Ziggy Kerman

I've had a space station up in orbit, the inclination is the same as Woomerang, and I had a replica Delta IV Heavy DCSS wizz past during docking procedures, warranting a Class 3 warning and debris avoidance maneuver being planned. I have 6 classes of possible collision, these are the classes and distances and the avoidance, along with the main culprits (if there's any needed, looking at you 4 and 5):
Class 0-The dreaded one-10m-500m- say your final prayers, these are gonners.- Odd kick stage action

Class 1-Most likely Collision- Within 500m if active craft- If craft A (collider) is active, preform avoidance of craft B (Collidee) to make it a class 2 warning, visa versa if craft A isn't active.-Stray 2nd stage after decouple

Class 2- Maybe?-500m-1.5km- If the thing doesn't have a stupidly large wingspan, orient the panels in a perpendicular direction to the path-Random FlatSat or Cubesat

Class 3-Probably not happening-1.5km-2km- At this point I can't easily flip flop between them, and if it's a ways away during that build up, I just give the RCS a little puff-Random second stage on the same plane or crossing planes at same time

Class 4-At this point it might as well not be a warning-2km-5km-I just make sure I don't enter in to 3 below during any operations.- Dead and ejected space station module if it's both space station bits

Class 5-Who cares-5km-Ad infinitum- keep going, doesn't really need to do anything-Dres

When I first started playing ksp, I ignored debris, until I almost slammed Val through an old used upper stage.

Afterthat, I clean all debris by deorbiting it to burn up, or if I can't, I hit the terminate button.

All the more reason to either a) add deorbit in motors to the top of your launch rocket’s insertion stage (whether that’s a single stage with boosters or a multi stage setup) to push it out of orbit once it’s empty; b) build controllable boosters that can fly back down under their own power to either be recovered or just dropped in the sea/burnt up; or c) turn the persistent debris setting down to zero so that debris is automatically deleted. Personally I prefer to either build the launch rocket to have slightly too little delta-V to get all the way to orbit so that it will naturally fall back down while the payload itself does the last little bit of insertion burn, or build a launch rocket that can be returned and recovered to be “reused” later.

43 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Personally I prefer to either build the launch rocket to have slightly too little delta-V to get all the way to orbit so that it will naturally fall back down while the payload itself does the last little bit of insertion burn

Ditto.

Esp since I like standard launchers and normally use MJ to handle the ascent to orbit.

Which gives a scary high possibility of smacking into to spent stages or other debris.

My closest encounter wasn't 5km, it was more like < 50m ...

2 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Which gives a scary high possibility of smacking into to spent stages or other debris.

My closest encounter wasn't 5km, it was more like < 50m ...

I had a space station where the 2nd stages were the main propulsion unit until docking and then I ejected it, I had to do some odd RCS maneuvering to get it away because I forgot my deorbit motors, well, at this point it's only a matter of time until I have a strike with a station with a capulse trunk or SM piece that got blown off before the deorbit burn.

4 hours ago, Dientus said:

After that, I clean all debris by deorbiting it to burn up, or if I can't, I hit the terminate button.

My Hermes coms system is unnumbered, for some reason, so I'm fairly weary of debris termination, so I'm working on Allen, the Alligator; a giant BFR-esque thing with the Mk3 tail thingy to catch dead satellites or a MEPs to do, what is says on the tin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.