Mun Spaceplane

Hello, first topic here.

Anyway I have been trying to make a to-the-Mun-and-back kind of spaceplane. I use 2m rocket parts as the shuttle is meant to have a crewtank onboard. This is to facillitate passenger transfers to the Mun and back. It's supposed to be reusable, thus it can only have one stage. Refuelling is not a problem. That can be taken care of. Basicly, I need to know how to make a spaceplane that follows the specified conditions below:

- 1 Stage

- Nothing that has to be decoupled (No SRBs etc)

- Has enough fuel at start to get into orbit

- Has at least 1 Crew Tank

- Must have landing/takeoff capabilities

- Must be able to go to the Mun and back.

That's all. For the record I use the Down Under Aerospace and Party Supplies Pack, Crewtank, Deep Space Parts Pack, NovaPunch Remix pack, Shuttle Booster System and MMI's Payload Pack as my core mods.

Thanks for anyone who can help. I can upload pictures of my current design if needed.

EDIT: I mean refueling as in on the ground refueling. Refueling can be done in orbit as well once I get my satellite up there, so don't count on that one. When I manage to establish a Mun Base that will also have a refueling station.

Edited by T-Pilot395

Might be a while before we see some good SSTO designs out there. Since everyone is off to the planets at the moment.

There were a few Mun return capable craft around in 0.16. However, with the.... change... in 0.17, I don't expect to see many of those doing repeat trips.

However, with the new NERVA engine, I actually think a Mun return capable SSTO is now easier - no refueling needed. I'm sure there's a great mix to be discovered of jets, aerospikes and NERVAs to give you a great TWR profile for ascent, and a nice high ISP for a large delta-V once in orbit. Looking forward to seeing the designs and building myself... just after this next Duna visit... and some Jool missions... and... those moons.

Edited by bsalis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.