thinking about making a soviet-type pack, feedback please?

mivanit

what ship should I concentrate work on most?  

1. 1. what ship should I concentrate work on most?

• Vostok spacecraft
    • Voskhod spacecraft
    • N-1 rocket
    • Energia launch system
    • Buran shuttle
    • R7 rocket
    • Proton rocket
    • Venera-11 style lander

yep. SRB's. the n-1 (which was the subject in the first quote) was a little-heard-of and failed soviet project to get an equivalent of the american saturn 5 (Saturn V). it had SRB's as the lower stages. Also, the Energia laynch system has SRB's on the side of the large fuel tank, just like the american STS.

I will try setting crew capacity to 0 :D

I know about the N-1, it's pretty well documented, but it didn't use SRBs. The first stage used 30 liquid engines.

Energia didn't use SRBs either. The LRBs were Zenit boosters and were reused later as the core of the modern Zenit launcher.

In general, the Russian space program hasn't ever used large solid boosters. I don't think they ever had the manufacturing capacity to produce them. Even Soviet ICBMs were liquid rockets.

Edited by Nibb31

If you manage to get the parts straight concerning the amount of Kerbals fitting into a module or another you should make 2 separate modules since the Vostok carried 1 single Cosmonaut into orbit and the Voskhod, being just a modified Vostok, managed to carry a very cramped crew of 3 Cosmonauts (Without pressure suits, mind you) into orbit. Voskhod 2 was apparently capable of carrying 2 Cosmonauts with suits as Alexei Leonov did the first E.V.A on that mission. So you can basically fit how many Kerbonauts as you wish in those capsules if you want to make 2 different, e.g 1 capsule with 1 Kerbonaut capacity (Vostok) with less weight, and one with 3 capacity (Voskhod, the Kerbals must be REALLY squeezed in there as they are always using space suits...) with more weight, since it's the same basic design in the end. Don't know abou the Soyuz though, but plenty of pictures and info on it's interior is avalible on the internet.

Making the interiors for at least the Voskhod should not be any difficulty for someone decent at modelling since it was very basic. There's also a

made in Orbiter, with some brief sights of the capsules inside.

Keep up the good work! You got a lot of people cheering for you here :).

Edited by Raticon

erm...

heres my suggestion: I will make the N-1 compatible with the docking mod, but the N-1 will have space to take a lander up with it (like the saturn 5)

(a): you take the lander up with you, fly to the moon, transfer your kerbals to the lander, use a tutorial i will include to make the lander pilotable, land, fly back up, return

OR

(B): you use the docking mod to dock in orbit and fly to the mun

"Still checking in everyday to see the progression. I like the poll you introduced, let's you get a good grip on what us plebeians crave for our amusement in this space-Colloseum ;)"

Yeah, I keep coming back because I really want an up to date soyuz spacecraft

Soviet rockets, like their warships and aircraft, were undeniably pretty.

I'm looking forward to this pack; I've always wanted to give my rockets a more East Bloc look.

I have to agree Russian Rockets stand out more to me where I can clearly identify what's what.

Also little fact - when the soviet turned into Russia and other countries Russia lost its independent access to space so rockets are built in Russia and then stuck on a train to Kazakhstan

I was just saying You may have put me there by mistake, I will try to make a Good K1 first stage Booster (N1 Kerbal name) But I've never actually made a good model on KSP and it may take some time, Hopefully not since the N1 has to be my favorite rocket.

Edit: This is what I will try to base it off of and some Black and White soviet pics :D

exploded_1.jpg

Edited by Sbowyer28

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.