Variable Yield Orion Drives

The orion drive will have several preset sizes with different masses and thrust from what I've heard from the devs. You're probably better off trying to change the vessel mass to get the dV you want since impulse will seem to be set.

I'm not talking about vessel mass. The way the game currently stands, if you create a maneuver node that requires 100m/s, and the est. Burn time is 10 seconds, you need to start your burn at T-5 seconds and continue the burn through T+5.

If you can tune the yield of the nuclear devices, you could theoretically get one pulse to impart all 100m/s at T-0 instead of trying to split the burn around the node.

7 hours ago, FlywheelsGroove said:

I'm not talking about vessel mass. The way the game currently stands, if you create a maneuver node that requires 100m/s, and the est. Burn time is 10 seconds, you need to start your burn at T-5 seconds and continue the burn through T+5.

If you can tune the yield of the nuclear devices, you could theoretically get one pulse to impart all 100m/s at T-0 instead of trying to split the burn around the node.

Only for a small dV change. The pressure plate and hydraulics wouldn't be able to withstand more than their design parameters (i.e. the normal yield). Can't get a 50km/s change in velocity instantly.

2 hours ago, Nirgal said:

Only for a small dV change. The pressure plate and hydraulics wouldn't be able to withstand more than their design parameters (i.e. the normal yield). Can't get a 50km/s change in velocity instantly.

True. The 100m/s was for a round number to make the example easy. Also the the amount of delta per pulse will go up anyway as the overall mass of the craft goes down due to the expended explosives. 

7 hours ago, FlywheelsGroove said:

True. The 100m/s was for a round number to make the example easy. Also the the amount of delta per pulse will go up anyway as the overall mass of the craft goes down due to the expended explosives. 

You realize this would mean subjecting the craft to possibly 100's of G's right? 100 m/s of dV happening in 0.1 s is 1000m/s2 or about 120 G's. If you account for dampening springs and say that the event takes 2s for the dV to be applied that means going from 0 G's to 6G's back to 0 G's every 2 seconds. If that's not a recipe for shaking a craft apart then idk what is. 

I think you're over estimating how much dV we will be getting per pulse.