0.16+ TouhouTorpedo's Modular Multiwheels (Tosh's Cart Mod powered)

TouhouTorpedo

Something wrong is happening to my rover...

http://imgur.com/a/ImWFo

The wheels are pushing themselves to the ground as soon as they touch the Mün, as if they were being affected by an enormous gravity, making it impossible to move and leading to inevitable disaster, as shown in image #3.

If I extend the landing legs to lift the wheels off the ground, they go back to their floaty, happy low gravity behavior; they also work fine in Kerbin.

You need to use struts. The offset brackets aren't enough by themselves.

I tried with struts before and it led to the same problem.

As I stated before, they work perfectly fine in Kerbin, so this is not normal behavior.

I believe that may be down to the lowgee compensation built into the carts. I suggest trying opening the CFG and lowering the lowgee compensation value.

I've not done much testing on the mun, so if you have something there already, it'd be a really useful contribution if you could try that.

EDIT : After a pumkin rocket powered test to the mun, I can say I'm not sure whats happened to you there. I got my cart up to over 100 m/s, and it'd have gone faster if I didn't jump off into something and pile drive into a crater.

As some people have said looking at them pictures again, you need to use some of the games stock struts to prevent things from flexing. The moment these wheels have flexed, they grip hard enough to tear the vehicle appart.

test vehicle using pumkin-cheat-o-tank to the mun

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a180/manmuppet/screenshot281-1.png

test vehicle going >100m/s ... Only ended after hitting a crater at 126 m/s.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a180/manmuppet/screenshot284.png

Edited by TouhouTorpedo

Yes, that was it! I changed compensationLowGee to 0.1 and now they work properly!

I will test various settings to see how it goes.

Edit: 0.5 is too heavy for me and 0.0 might be too dangerously bouncy. Around 0.1 should be a good setting.

On another note, I seriously dislike how the wheels are virtually indestructible, having a bunch of wheel debris flying around from a crashed rover is rather annoying, so I will set the crashTolerance to something more reasonable!

Edited by Zurack

Main reason for the high crash tolerance of the wheels and the connector trusses is to deal with the high forces the wheels put out when they occasionally will grip and grab at the ground. With lowgee compensation down you'll probably have less of an issue with this true, but on kerbin for instance its still a problem.

I'll try some low gee tomorrow perhaps if I get the time, as you can manage really ludicrous speeds on the mun at the moment.

Hey, just found this little addition to my mod collection...but I have a slight request:

One of two options: simply Steering and no power addition yourself, OR tell me how to disable the motor on the powered+steering module. I'm trying to make a design that can translate any direction, be it north, east south, or west, without turning my craft in that direction. Useful for a "mobile rocket pad" (a 7 meter stage thing that has custom placed nodes, with wheels, each node has de-coupler, and the rocket sits on top.. Esentially, I move the rocket launch to ANYWHERE I want it to be off kerbal, be it the north pole, or the equator.:wink:

Hey, just found this little addition to my mod collection...but I have a slight request:

One of two options: simply Steering and no power addition yourself, OR tell me how to disable the motor on the powered+steering module. I'm trying to make a design that can translate any direction, be it north, east south, or west, without turning my craft in that direction. Useful for a "mobile rocket pad" (a 7 meter stage thing that has custom placed nodes, with wheels, each node has de-coupler, and the rocket sits on top.. Esentially, I move the rocket launch to ANYWHERE I want it to be off kerbal, be it the north pole, or the equator.:wink:

What you're looking for Zaeo I think would be more suited to the Katapillar Mod:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/8211-Plugin-Parts-14-3-Katerpillar-Wheels-V0-3?highlight=wheel

TouhouTorpedo, forget about the non-powered steering wheels for countersteering. It won't work.

I've placed two powered steering wheels at the back of the non-steering powered wheels and disabled the motor. It didn't matter which way i positioned the head light, the steering still went exactly the same way as the powered steering wheels in front.

For counter steering it is neccessary to invert the controls, in other words, "I" will set the direction of movement backward, "K" forward, "J" to the right and "L" to the left. In the CFG it says reverse isn't implemented yet but can i try it somehow anyway (f.e. by creating duplicates with different keybindings?)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34023[/ATTACH]

(a submersible sea explorer)

TouhouTorpedo, forget about the non-powered steering wheels for countersteering. It won't work.

I've placed two powered steering wheels at the back of the non-steering powered wheels and disabled the motor. It didn't matter which way i positioned the head light, the steering still went exactly the same way as the powered steering wheels in front.

For counter steering it is neccessary to invert the controls, in other words, "I" will set the direction of movement backward, "K" forward, "J" to the right and "L" to the left. In the CFG it says reverse isn't implemented yet but can i try it somehow anyway (f.e. by creating duplicates with different keybindings?)

The funniest thing is that the first thing I made with these wheels was a boat

That is wonderful, wasn't expecting something like that.

It will work, the tailwheel does it. You can reverse wheel steering by deleting "reversed" from the steering axis at the end of the CFG. But if you make a duplicate part, you'll need to change the part name on the new part as well, so they don't interfere with each other. If its really requested I can make such an item to include after all, but I'll have to think about how I'll give it an appearance that makes it obviously a reverse steering wheel.

I'm working on a truckcab now for the next release

truckcab.png

Its going to be some time though, working out how to do the ladders and hatches properly is proving to be much more of a pain than anticipated. I've got the layers, tags, and meshes all in place in unity, just once you get to KSP, it ends up working terribly. Think I'll need some advice from higher up on this one, as without an indepth guide existing or any source files, I don't have much to follow on fixing this but trial and error.

This is an excellent mod.

But after updating to the latest version of this mod I have 2 duplicate sets of wheels.

Isit possible to give me a list of the folder names used for the old wheels so I can delete the old ones?

That is wonderful, wasn't expecting something like that.

It will work, the tailwheel does it. You can reverse wheel steering by deleting "reversed" from the steering axis at the end of the CFG. But if you make a duplicate part, you'll need to change the part name on the new part as well, so they don't interfere with each other. If its really requested I can make such an item to include after all, but I'll have to think about how I'll give it an appearance that makes it obviously a reverse steering wheel.

I'm working on a truckcab now for the next release

truckcab.png

Its going to be some time though, working out how to do the ladders and hatches properly is proving to be much more of a pain than anticipated. I've got the layers, tags, and meshes all in place in unity, just once you get to KSP, it ends up working terribly. Think I'll need some advice from higher up on this one, as without an indepth guide existing or any source files, I don't have much to follow on fixing this but trial and error.

Thank you very much, i'll try that this evening.

A beautiful cab! Judging by the shape of the grill, it is meant to be connected to fueltanks. This will severely limit the uses of the cab. Perhaps it is wiser to split the cab in two; the cab itself and a lower part with the grill. The upper part then can also be placed on top of a flat surface.

This is an excellent mod.

But after updating to the latest version of this mod I have 2 duplicate sets of wheels.

Isit possible to give me a list of the folder names used for the old wheels so I can delete the old ones?

The old wheels are called Modularwheel_

Should be three folders. If you got the tailwheel, thats in the tailwheel folder.

The old wheels are called Modularwheel_

Should be three folders. If you got the tailwheel, thats in the tailwheel folder.

Ah, found them!

Thanks. Will definitely help my KSP load faster (20+ Mods make it take 1 min to load)

I know how you feel, I don't have novapunch for that reason. As wonderful as the mod is, it just has too many parts.

TheCardinal - that grill may be going anyway. I like it, but it causes collider problems due to unity's dislike of small objects. (the thinness of it is the problem)

I know how you feel, I don't have novapunch for that reason. As wonderful as the mod is, it just has too many parts.

Well problem is I have NovaPunch AND Tiberdyne's Shuttle Booster System, plus Deep Space and Down Under. Those are the big contributors. :P

Teaser for a pre-release I'm giving out tonight soon as Shoar gets on so I can get my Kerbal.net password again (sorry Shoar, I'm causing you so much trouble!)

screenshot41-1.png

Yep, hatches, ladders, all works. No dedicated interior yet, uses the MK3 cockpit internal for now.