SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

whoa.... how can you guys get these into orbit? all my stations are so small.... :(

You send them up piece by piece. My station was built over four separate missions, each module is docked onto a central piece.

Here's mine. What started out as an idea to get a fuel depot into orbit, has just gotten its first habitation module. The design is not elegant in any way, I just designed it for efficiency and compability. As you can see, it holds a lot of fuel, and with all three types of docking ports on each fuel module, it has the potensial for expanding in many different ways, and it has the capability to recieve most types of spacecraft for refueling.

2013-06-18_00003_zpse2b3ded7.jpg

Here's the launch vehicle for the fuel tanks. Not much fuel efficiency here. Good thing the Kerbal echonomy allows for such extravagancy!

Once rendezvous with the station is completed, the service module is jettisoned. The 2x4 RCS thrusters around the center of mass makes docking much easier than it could've been. Once docked, the tower including the control unit and SAS module is jettisoned, making the station only controlled by its center module (with SAS and control unit intact). Both sides of the tank are equipped with Sr. Docking Ports, both revealed when the tower or service module is jettisoned.

2013-06-18_00004_zpsddfff062.jpg

And here's the launch vehicle for the habitation module. Not too easy on the juice either. Here the tower is jettisoned first, to allow RCS to be put on the Service Module for jettison once docked.

2013-06-18_00005_zps845a357c.jpg

9 Mainsail, 4 stage, Thrust block

yL0mHowh.jpg

Populating thrust blocks around

5k1HBuoh.jpg

All five thrust blocks in place on each spur of the Mk. VII

OR0pj86h.jpg

Light that candle!

SJICbL3h.jpg

Sep-1

0k2wYBph.jpg

Sep-2

B3f6eYIh.jpg

Sep-3

cJBnXf4h.jpg

Blow off all the lift-off support frass before circularizing

BA1qfd8h.jpg

Stable 96k orbit (Mk. VII tipping the scales at 223 tons after ditching the boosters)

pFlvwZyh.jpg

High resolution album

Edited by NoMrBond

Just another ISS in progress... On another note, why can I launch rockets all day with LV-T30s and LV-T45s but as soon as I use a Mainsail the stupid rocket weaves side to side while on SAS and responds to "roll"axis commands sluggishly if at all?

I had a Zarya clone module in orbit earlier, but as soon as I disconnected the stage I realized it had stolen all my fuel. :( After fighting the engines all the way up I didn't feel like doing it again.

screenshot61_zpsb03c5f4a.png

screenshot62_zps4c1a3283.png

I see all the pictures, these are what I like most:

(with link)

stanonwheels

stanonwheels2

Logan.Darklighter

Logan.Darklighter2

dom.stb

stanonwheels3

LostPsychonaut

stanonwheels4

I dont know what was your idea behind this one, but a docking port in a rotating space station has more sense if it is in the center. Space odyssey style.

jhonneyboy

This is my interplanetary space station 1.9 version.

ksp_station_07.jpg

ksp_station_01.jpg

ksp_station_03.jpg

ksp_station_6.jpg

ksp_station_10.jpg

ksp_station_11.jpg

ksp_station_13.jpg

ksp_station_12.jpg

With full fuel can reach jool system and back, I need to be carefull with the RCS, it has 2 big tanks and 4 small ones, but I guess is not enought if you need to make many manouvers. I already desactivate the middle RCS ports, I will have an improvement there.

I want to carry one airplane to fly in the planets with atmosphere and a hot air globe probe. i still need to design those.

Well I hope you like it.

Mods Used:

KSPX, IoncrossCrewSupport, KAS mod, cargobay, robotic arm, Jool V, crew manifest, mechjeb2, nautilus,

(The engine is nuclear engine from a mod, I modify doubling their weight, the isp is 100 - 950 and I add electrity consumption with a ratio of 10. Just to make solar panels usefull and the isp more realistic)

I went mod-crazy this last week and installed at least a dozen new mods, mostly parts. Seeing as the 4 Kerbin stations I had were now woefully outdated (and redundant), I deorbited them all and started work on a new pair of stations, one that would be a mission hub/refueling station, and another that would act as a science/observation/communication. Here are some mysterious (read: too dark) pictures of the Hub/Fuel station:

vzhsqKxh.jpg

I like the look of the spherical tanks from this pack , but they dont have the option to launch empty like the ones from the spherical tanks pack, so I sat on the launchpad for a long time bleeding off the fuel with little thrusters. My goal was to get this thing into orbit in only two launches - the fuel/power/control core and the habitation/docking section - in order to reduce wiggling as I'll be docking some pretty massive ships here to refuel.

9HcPZukh.jpg

Here is the station's first crew in their transport/escape craft about to dock. There's room for 13 Kerbals onboard, but I am sending only 6 so I have some room for crews returning from interplanetary missions. I typically don't include a Kerbin descent stage on my large ships, so most missions begin and end at a LKO rendezvous with the station and take a lander (Or hopefully a spaceplane once I figure out how to actually make/fly one properly) back to the ground.

The station is fairly large, but mod parts (big generators, big batteries, stronger struts) have kept the part counts fairly low so that it gets a much better framerate than my old stations.

I put the research/science station on hold as I am building an orbital kethane refinery at minmus so I can actually fill up the tanks on this thing.

The lastest station ive been putting together. im not sure what else to add on to it. or if i even should add on too it. any more and it wont be much use for crewing and fueling spacecrafts due to the lag.

4qIAiOK.jpg

OWS1cHS.jpg

LJQe2EH.png

3EC3tIK.jpg

eo7jhSt.jpg

v6QVSM1.jpg

Mods used - stock expansion - fustek - HOME - TriHex-strut - Large structural components - Kethane

Space Station Columbus. Still a work in progress. Maximum crew is 6 Kerbals, it can hold 4 additional craft at any time, including but not limited to, landers, probes, space bikes, and space planes.

This is still a work in progress and I hope to get 2 large orange fuel tanks attached to the sides of it, so it can better serve its purpose as a refueling station. :)

2vbvf41.jpg

Here's my Skylab :)

there's room for 12 kerbals aboard it, mass is around 30tons, part count around 350 parts for the station itself.

the Apollo CSM which ferried my kerbals is attached to it on the pictures.

KDuuIu3l.jpg

4pdTaMhl.png

the telescope mount (mounted sideways on the pictures) was lined up with the rest during launch, only in orbit it separated and translated to it's final docking position :)

and of course, it was launched with my Saturn V rocket :P (but if you try, be careful, the station, it's fairings and the rocket account for 1005 parts :P)

(link to the post+files in my sig :P)

also, we missed the 40th anniversary of Skylab's launch : it was launched on may 14th 1973 :)

I see all the pictures, these are what I like most:

(with link)

stanonwheels

stanonwheels2

Logan.Darklighter

Logan.Darklighter2

dom.stb

stanonwheels3

LostPsychonaut

stanonwheels4

I dont know what was your idea behind this one, but a docking port in a rotating space station has more sense if it is in the center. Space odyssey style.

jhonneyboy

This is my interplanetary space station 1.9 version.

ksp_station_07.jpg

ksp_station_01.jpg

ksp_station_03.jpg

ksp_station_6.jpg

ksp_station_10.jpg

ksp_station_11.jpg

ksp_station_13.jpg

ksp_station_12.jpg

With full fuel can reach jool system and back, I need to be carefull with the RCS, it has 2 big tanks and 4 small ones, but I guess is not enought if you need to make many manouvers. I already desactivate the middle RCS ports, I will have an improvement there.

I want to carry one airplane to fly in the planets with atmosphere and a hot air globe probe. i still need to design those.

Well I hope you like it.

Mods Used:

KSPX, IoncrossCrewSupport, KAS mod, cargobay, robotic arm, Jool V, crew manifest, mechjeb2, nautilus,

(The engine is nuclear engine from a mod, I modify doubling their weight, the isp is 100 - 950 and I add electrity consumption with a ratio of 10. Just to make solar panels usefull and the isp more realistic)

Ermagherd... Its something like that i want to do, just havent got around to do it!

Space Station Columbus. Still a work in progress. Maximum crew is 6 Kerbals, it can hold 4 additional craft at any time, including but not limited to, landers, probes, space bikes, and space planes.

This is still a work in progress and I hope to get 2 large orange fuel tanks attached to the sides of it, so it can better serve its purpose as a refueling station. :)

2vbvf41.jpg

hmm, I actually rather like that design as a single-launch station, might have to design my own take on it at some point. Not sure where I'd attach the fuel, though. Probably to the east/west facing sides of the station to keep clear of the solar panels. I'd probably also space the panels out a little further on masts so they are less likely to eclipse each other.

Edited by Colonel_Panic

New Terminus station core for OASIS (link to this and all OASIS craft downloads in my sig)

Operates as a standalone station, fully functioning with everything it needs in a single launch.

Low part count: around 150 parts total, 180 with 2 fuel cores (additional OASIS XL fuel tanks after that are only 3 parts each, up to 14 tanks!)

'Lite' alternative for people who want a full sized O.A.S.I.S. compatible station with minimal part count, hassle, or orbital assembly.

Once in orbit, it has enough onboard fuel for its LV-Ns to reach minmus orbit, although you will need to dock additional fuel tanks with it before moving it to another planet.

3jLlkeN.jpg

PmKfKwO.jpg

anDwJkH.jpg

KFjJJ5F.jpg

KjJqtyJ.jpg

shown with OASIS fuel cores.

Sb9UU7E.jpg

o7Vurgn.jpg

The entire length of the station is accessible via mobility enhancers.

LZGnCXC.jpg