SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

0892D8CC6C59C6D7DD1A2700116EBACCEE1BA173

This is my small, low orbit refueling station. It is also my first serious attempt at a space station.

It's small, practical and functional. (except for the fact that it flies like a boneless rubber chicken with concrete sacks tied to its head and legs when you try to maneuver it...)

It was designed to replace my failed attempts at building large impractical interplanetary ships with a method for getting smaller ships with larger payloads into orbit and then refueling them for long haul missions.

Fuel is stored in the four orange tanks and then distributed to ships that can dock at one of the two available docking ports on the north and south side. (which may be extended or angled, depending on eventual ship design) Fuel is delivered by a ship from the surface which is basically a huge, flying fuel tanker. (not shown)

The station also holds a lab for cleaning experiments from ships, thereby making it possible to re-use successful craft (if any) without needing to relaunch them from the surface.

Also included is a crew cabin (hitchhiker) to store snacks and extra Kerbals to man the station in the event of a highly likely fatal accident.

Whole station build using vanilla parts unlocked through career mode. Fuel tanker (not shown) is basically Rockomax tanks with the first stage designed with the new ARM engine\components.

Now I should bring habitation, observatory, powerplant and docks modules.

So, It's work in progress

IM9MA7f.png

To be fair to forum rules:

EDIT:

I think 3 stones is not to much... But I will do this tomorrow.

Progress on the end of day:

U3sjLEp.png

Edited by Baalnamib

The impracticality has barely begun:

The Ant Queen station. Made with love, not cheats or debug menus. This one only took two launches but I then had to fill it with fuel. I stopped using it because the part count is so high it is like watching a slide show trying to dock with it, and so she sits there... waiting.

Originally I was going to dock large engines on her and use her as an interplanetary vessel to spread her little ones to all the planets of the system.

But now she is just a station and I am waiting for the new parts to make her part count much lower.

I love that small drone! Very nicely built.

Progress on the dual keel design:

n6CUG44.png

I tell you, for my purposes, just another one of those tanks will do. The amount of fuel they carry... it's enough to rip a hole in the space-time continuum. However, aesthetics and practicality demand MOAR.

I tell you, for my purposes, just another one of those tanks will do. The amount of fuel they carry... it's enough to rip a hole in the space-time continuum. However, aesthetics and practicality demand MOAR.

Its never enough, especially when you have spacecraft that use those tanks in orbit.

New player here, I finished my first space station last week, during my first ongoing play-through. This is Kerbolab, based on Skylab. I launched the whole thing in one shot; the lab's built-in fuel tank was part of the launch vehicle. :) I had a tank on the other side of the jumbo docking port that had a mainsail engine on it, and had big orange tanks all around it. I was originally going to convert Kerbolab into an interplanetary vehicle, but decided to build Nautilus instead (seen in second shot) after I realized that I had no need for the extra hitchhiker can. Nautilus' fuel cluster was launched in one go, with the mainsail engines dropping off as the tanks ran out of fuel. Eventually I replaced its last mainsail with nuclear engines once I researched them.

Kerbolab.png

Kerbolab2.png

Edited by Angel-125

New update, new save, new station.

13735056123_e2b99191ae_b.jpg

Cygnus Station, in ~200km high 45 degree orbit over Kerbin. The actual "station" part was sent up in two launches. It was supposed to be a SkyLab-style one launch deal, but I didn't realize until the first crew was on board that the GreenLab couldn't clean and reset experiments, so a KerbLab module had to be sent up. Good thing I had an extra docking port! Deployment and module delivery:

13734996695_f76c1e86e5_b.jpg

13735407154_7c43042314_b.jpg

New update, new save, new station.

Cygnus Station, in ~200km high 45 degree orbit over Kerbin. The actual "station" part was sent up in two launches. It was supposed to be a SkyLab-style one launch deal, but I didn't realize until the first crew was on board that the GreenLab couldn't clean and reset experiments, so a KerbLab module had to be sent up. Good thing I had an extra docking port! Deployment and module delivery:

Where are these solar panels from ?

Where are these solar panels from ?

KSO Phase II: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68429-0-23-5-Kerbin-Shuttle-Orbiter-System-v2-08-aka-Kerbin-Mini-Shuttle

Normally I'd replace the gold panels with Near Future Propulsion's megalodor panels (same size, similar output) because I prefer blue solar panels, but these are what I have unlocked in career at the moment, and they're still great parts

Man, my fellow kerballers are quite the solar-panel-happy bunch... I rarely put more than is absolutely necessary on anything, and in that light I primarily use OX-STATs. Even when I do put mega-panels on stations, I don't add more than maybe four. O_o