[.19 PARTS] JebCorp M-209 SPHERE ball probe system

dishycourier

1o97H.jpg

4-8-2013, or 8-4-2013 if you're anywhere but the U.S.

I didn't notice that the forums had been restored, but here's the gist of this update:

*Pod is fixed to show up in pods

*Weight redistributed for even rolling-ness

*Engine and fuel not fixed with proper values yet, but it still works. Isp and proper resource management coming when I have time to figure them out.

*Still fun.

*Camera sort of works?

*Comes with a MechJeb2 pod. It seems to be a bit harder to get the hang of, but much easier to perform complex maneuvers. I recommend mj2 over mj1, but have included both.

*Science kit has all of the sensors. I think. I did not include it as a Graphotron part as I haven't tested that functionality yet.

*Still easy to launch and use for testing.

9-29-2012

Thank your for your purchase of the JebCorp Model 209 SPHERE ballprobe!

MechJeb is required for use. http://www.mechjeb.com

Dear intrepid explorers,

We'd like to congratulate you on taking your next step in space exploration and your purchase of the Model 209 SPHERE ball probe.

Enclosed in the box you will find the following contents:

1 Science Kit. It contains all sorts of sensors and things, but most of all cameras. Two context cameras with three focal lengths. By pressing F8, you can take advantage of these cameras to record scenic vistas on other worlds, or just take a picture of your lunch. We installed them, but it's on you to use them as you wish. Also houses the gyroscopic SAS unit.

1 SPHERE Control Capsule. Without requiring any Kerbal on board, this lightweight pod is capable of mechanically guided flight to just about anywhere in the solar system.

1 92 Litre Fuel RP-1 fuel tank. Be very careful -- The highly compressed fuel in this module is very flammable. No smoking within 1000 feet.

1 SPHERE heat-shield/engine. This four-way engine provides an impossibly efficient way to deliver the SPHERE ball probe system to the celestial body of your choice.

Please note that the SPHERE system is a highly calibrated set of scientific instruments. Although it is entirely possible to stick MORE science stuff to the hull, the engine is tuned to the weight of the craft by the process of Guesstimation. This process infers a proper amount of what we like to call "OOMPH" based on the weight of the system without any user-modified or aftermarket parts.

NOTE: Dishy Courier's Crappy Parts Warehouse releases liability of this "The Product" to you "The Consumer" as a military surplus clearinghouse. No refunds. No warranties. No guarantees of safety, functionality, or stability of The Product/s under normal conditions or otherwise. Purchase and use of The Product by The Consumer is intended entirely as recreational and non-commercial. Purchase of The Product constitutes agreement to several terms of service and liability waivers enclosed in instructional packet.

Available on Kerbal Space Port

The ball probe is a small toy I ended up designing as a proof of concept for something else entirely. I had a lot of fun making and testing it, so I figured the community would enjoy it as well.

88x31.png

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Edited by dishycourier

Now all I need to do is to color them different colors, and get a pool stick, and I can play Pool!

Feel free to customize! Just rename the folders and the partname. Post it here! My girlfriend hated the red checkers and said the whole thing looked like "humpty dumpty." Various skinpacks would be welcome.

Sidenote: It takes longer to figure out what DOT placards you need that what you'd expect. Had a nerdgasm at http://dotplacards.com/, http://www.safetysign.com/

Edited by dishycourier

I'd have liked to integrate mapping into the nosecone, but ISA 3.3.0 isn't playing nice with outside parts :(

I've got this going instead....

v6AJ6.png

vgc3g.jpg

I PM'd ISA and I'm hoping he gets back to me, but it's not looking good. It'd be awesome if I could jam as much "science" into the science kit as possible. I tried VOID, but it just wasn't enough and caused console spam. :(

Feel free to customize! Just rename the folders and the partname. Post it here! My girlfriend hated the red checkers and said the whole thing looked like "humpty dumpty." Various skinpacks would be welcome.

Sidenote: It takes longer to figure out what DOT placards you need that what you'd expect. Had a nerdgasm at http://dotplacards.com/, http://www.safetysign.com/

I'm hoping someone does a Death Star skin. :)

I have a whole file folder full of warning signs from when I was doing paper models.

I'm currently using these to bounce around Ike, Minimus, and Duna.... Oh, and Moho. And when I say bounce, I do mean literally bounce. I'm having a hilarious time rolling these up and down hills.

Does the parking brake work on a round ball on a hill?

First images from Ball Probe 1.

Not bad for having only one ball.

It's from 20,000 Meters on maximum power.

MunBallProbe1.png

Edited by Tommygun

How did you get the information thingy at the bottom?

I used Gimp to insert a gray scale I found on the internet and the numbers are the position information from the persistence file.

Those numbers are actually from a rover on the Mun that I had handy. I should have used the ball's real position, but I was lazy.

I did a Jool aerobraking (kethanobraking?) with mine and tried to land on Laythe but screwed my burn and had not enough fuel to get into orbit around Laythe, dammit.

I wonder how good it could swim....

EDIT: Dishy, if it doesn't swim nicely, turn down buoyancy to allow it to roll over the bottom of the ocean for the next release :sticktongue:

I did a Jool aerobraking (kethanobraking?) with mine and tried to land on Laythe but screwed my burn and had not enough fuel to get into orbit around Laythe, dammit.

I wonder how good it could swim....

EDIT: Dishy, if it doesn't swim nicely, turn down buoyancy to allow it to roll over the bottom of the ocean for the next release :sticktongue:

I accidentally landed it in the water outside of the KSC, stuck it on its side and throttled up. 60 meter wall of water chased behind before the engine ripped off:-D

I'll look into making it a little more maneuverable in the water. I've been having waaaayyyyy too much fun with this.

Why o why do people use mediafire - it sucks like a vacuum cleaner on steroids - takes me 10-20 attempts before finally getting it to download.

I've never had any problems. I could put it on my own webserver, but then if people like it, I'll get hammered. What service do you suggest?

>Aescwulf:

You need the MuMechLib.dll in your plugins folder, you don't have to copy the MechJeb parts.

>dishy:

Upload it on Kerbal.net or Xenolith.ws, becoming mod of the month and getting 15$ on Xenolith is easy enough:cool: Own experience:sticktongue:

>Aescwulf:

You need the MuMechLib.dll in your plugins folder, you don't have to copy the MechJeb parts.

>dishy:

Upload it on Kerbal.net or Xenolith.ws, becoming mod of the month and getting 15$ on Xenolith is easy enough:cool: Own experience:sticktongue:

Thanks for answering :)

>Aescwulf:

>dishy:

Uploading it to Kerbal.net. Working up the banner now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.