Emergency airplane escape!

This is a challenge similar to 

I wanted to do this challenge but I play with lots of mods. So, this is my version of this challenge.

Make a passenger jet that has an escape system, it can have a much crew as needed, and mods ARE allowed, but NO MECHJEB autopiloting. You must have the escape system detach from all engines and fuel.

I would prefer a video, but pictures are allowed as long as you give an explanation of the escape system

Scoring:

Save passenger compartment - 2 points

Save crew -  3 points

Unmanned piloting - 1 point

Manned Piloting - 2 points

Cargo Space - 1 point

Save cargo space - 2 points

Land escape system on VAB helipad - 4 points

Land escape system on R&D Bridge - 5 points

Powered landing - 3 points

SSTO - 8 Points

Leaderboard:

Spoiler

1. @Mars-Bound Hokie17 points

2.@afyber 10 points

Here is my take on the challenge:

Spoiler

The EP-4 "Concrode"

Extra points if you guess the inspiration ;)

Edited by Rutabaga22

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2022 at 12:51 PM, Rutabaga22 said:

I wanted to do this challenge but I play with lots of mods. So, this is my version of this challenge.

A supersonic jet carrying 4 passengers (5 if you count the copilot seat). In the event of engine failure or damage the front can separate from the back using an inline decoupler and use its small wings and built-in electric VTOL engine to safely land on atmospheric planets.

Uses parts from SuicidalInsanity's Mk2 Stockalike Expansion.

10 minutes ago, afyber said:

A supersonic jet carrying 4 passengers (5 if you count the copilot seat). In the event of engine failure or damage the front can separate from the back using an inline decoupler and use its small wings and built-in electric VTOL engine to safely land on atmospheric planets.

Uses parts from SuicidalInsanity's Mk2 Stockalike Expansion.

Nice one! 10 points!

• 1 month later...

My Poseidon Mk. IV is a 20-man (16 passengers + 4 crew) refueling-capable pure stock SSTO that has an emergency ejection system for the occupants. Once the "ABORT" button is hit, the cabin and cockpit will separate from the rest of the plane and freefall to the ground. Be sure to activate the parachutes before you get too close to the ground, or everyone's dead. Hopefully, it's only used on Kerbin.

It also has a probe core in the front so it can do both manned and unmanned flights. It's also there to store scientific data from the voyage.

rFeCHM3.png

• During a test run, the cabin was ejected at 17.5 km altitude above Kerbin's surface.

EcBx73y.png

• Parachutes activated, and the cabin is safely on the ground.
    • Now I know I can recover the occupants if a safe landing on Kerbin is not possible.
    • If I'm on Laythe, however, then I might have a problem since I'll have to extract everyone from a stranded cabin and put them in a rescue craft back home.
  • This photo was taken before the Poseidon got some modifications (heat-resistant nose and tailfin), but the ejection system still works.

To see the Poseidon Mk. IV in action, check out the Neptune Mission Files (starting with the Neptune IV). You'll see it is capable of flying to Laythe and back. Here's how I think I should be scored, but I'll leave it to you:

• Save passenger compartment - 2 points
  • Save crew - 3 points
    • Or does the "crew" in this case consist of passengers AND kerbalnauts that work in the spacecraft? If so, then I'd get 3 instead of 5. I don't know exactly how scoring is done here.
      • At least break down how points are awarded when you score contestants, please.
  • Unmanned piloting - 1 point
    • Does this only count before or after the ejection system is deployed? 
    • Either way, as seen in the second screenshot here, the craft can deploy its own abort system without needing a crew inside.
  • Manned piloting - 2 points
  • Cargo space - 1 point
    • It holds the scientific instruments, the drills, ore tank, and the ISRU converter.
  • SSTO - 8 points

TOTAL: 17 points

Do you agree with this assessment, or not? Either way, I think I should get at least 11 thanks to the craft being an SSTO and the ejection system saving EVERYONE on board ALONE. Is that true?

Spoiler
On 6/25/2022 at 12:51 PM, Rutabaga22 said:

NO MECHJEB usage

Unfortunately, MJ is now embedded into all my probe cores. At least the craft can still pass off as Stock when uploaded onto KerbalX (or at least MJ won't show up). Please don't disqualify me for this.

• Not that it really matters when the ejection system is activated. Apart from surface info for coordinates and vertical speed, MJ is useless.

4 minutes ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

Unfortunately, MJ is now embedded into all my probe cores. At least the craft can still pass off as Stock when uploaded onto KerbalX (or at least MJ won't show up). Please don't disqualify me for this.

• Not that it really matters when the ejection system is activated. Apart from surface info for coordinates and vertical speed, MJ is useless.

I more meant no autopiloting. Nice job! You're going on the leaderboard right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.