Game Freezes on Every 2nd Launch

So just for a bit of backstory, I got the game about a year or two ago, played it a lot when I first got it, and then took a break. I tried getting into it again over the past week, but I've been running into a severe error that prevents me from getting far.

Once I boot up the game and continue a save file, the game functions perfectly for the first launch I do, and every other feature of the KSC works fine (including the VAB and the Tracking Station). However, whenever I try to do a second launch in the same session, the screen freezes up and refuses to change. I can hear the game running in the background, and can even use the keyboard to pause the game, but the only way to get out of this state is to manually shut the game down with the task manager.

I am using Windows 10 operating system. The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti. None of the other games I have are suffering this problem, and I haven't changed computers between playing 2 years ago and now. I downloaded the game via Steam, and reverifying the files only briefly fixes the problem. I tried reinstalling the game twice (up to and including deleting everything but the save files), but this hasn't helped.

I would really like some help on what I'm supposed to do to fix this.

That doesn't look right :wink:

Your logs location is %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\Player.log.

However, you are using an unmodded install, right? Then the problem might be something else. All your drivers are updated?

As @modus mentioned, the logs can help diagnose what is going on here, and you should ensure that particularly your graphics driver is up to date.

Does this problem persist if you start a new save? There could be something wonky going on with your existing saves due to updating from an older version of the game, though I can't recall that being a widespread issue...

You could try reverting your game version back to the last version you remember playing (in steam you go to Properties > Betas, and set the version you want), just to see if that does anything.

46 minutes ago, fleventeen said:

As @modus mentioned, the logs can help diagnose what is going on here, and you should ensure that particularly your graphics driver is up to date.

Does this problem persist if you start a new save? There could be something wonky going on with your existing saves due to updating from an older version of the game, though I can't recall that being a widespread issue...

You could try reverting your game version back to the last version you remember playing (in steam you go to Properties > Betas, and set the version you want), just to see if that does anything.

I am currently on a new save that I created last week. I have created 2 new save files in total since I noticed this glitch occur.

4 hours ago, modus said:

That doesn't look right :wink:

Your logs location is %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\Player.log.

However, you are using an unmodded install, right? Then the problem might be something else. All your drivers are updated?

Yes, my install is unmodded. By the way, how do I check my drivers?

19 minutes ago, Limabot said:

Yes, my install is unmodded. By the way, how do I check my drivers?

You can check with the "Nvidia GeForce Experience" app, but if you don't have that installed, you can download the latest driver via:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/190552/en-us/

Edit: FYI, keeping on the latest driver will give you optimal performance/stability on the latest games (generally speaking). :wink:

Edited by fleventeen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.