KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

1 week till i get monies and im starting to finalize my build. this is my current parts list:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=31249167

this is a mini-itx build. i picked this case specifically to fit in a compartment in my desk and dont want another monolith case to trip over. it comes with one 120mm fan mounting(more if i want to give up my gpu, uhmmm no) but it can be upgraded to 140mm, i found me the cheapest fluid dynamic type fan i could find. it can do 90 cfm, and so i think it will do fine. because of the unusual case design measurements are everything. things like length of the video card and depth of the power supply matter here. this is also not my first cube case but it is my first mini-itx build.

its going to run a 65w i7 4790s cpu. mini-itx boards only have room for one card slot, and since im putting a gtx750ti in that slot, i need a mobo with wifi built in. the mobo i found does this fine. if i want to spend twice as much i could drop in a mobo that supports faster ram speeds, but that will likely go against the low power/heat/noise/cost design im going for. im getting a small ssd for my os, and will use my existing ssd for files.

and now the dreaded power supply critique. in my last several builds i have noticed drastic declines in power consumption. in fact i ran this whole build through a psu calculator and discovered that this system will draw no more than 253 watts (peak estimate). i was originally going to get a power efficient 380w supply but instead opted for a 400w unit (to better compensate for capacitor aging). i have a couple older psus (a 650w and 750w) i can drop in if that is not enough, but i think it will be.

What is the purpose of that pc? If it's gaming, the i7 processor is way overkill, especially given that you are using a GTX 750 Ti in there.

Anyway, here is what else came to my mind while looking at this:

- the processor is haswell refresh, which requires a BIOS update when using a B85 mainboard. Many motherboards don't support a BIOS update without already having a CPU installed, which would mean that you would need to have a haswell non-refresh CPU to update your BIOS before you could use the 4790s with that motherboard. Make sure that the motherboard supports a BIOS update without a CPU or use a H97 board that would natively support haswell refresh processors.

- the bearing type should not be the reason why you choose a fan over another. It can have effect on how quiet a fan is, but a cheap fluid dynamic fan can be a lot louder than a good fan that's using another type of bearing. You should look for reviews of the fans to judge how quiet they are.

- if silence is a factor in your part choice, you shouldn't use the box cooler for the CPU. Get an aftermarket cooler instead.

usage case, some gaming, programming, graphic design. its pretty much an everything box. one day im playing ksp, the next day im compiling things, the day after that im designing pcbs. gaming performance isnt critical, im in my 30s after all.

i think ive made up my mind to move up to a 4790. both of those processors are on the mobo's qvl (to work with v1 of the bios). im also going to move up my psu to the 450-500 range to compensate. will post my new wish list as soon as it clears. still looking at power supplies too, so few good rated supplies in the 450-500 range.

bearing type is critical to life span of a fan, i have an unusable gtx560 because they decided to use a sleeve bearing in the gpu fan. no sleeve bearings. that leave fluid dynamic and ball. ball bearings are durable but loud. so that leaves fluid dynamic. if i have problems with it i can always swap it out with something better.

silence is a factor but not a huge one (especially with fans, id rather have something durable than something slightly quieter). current rig sounds like a fuzz buster, i dont want that again. if it comes out better than what im using, then yay. also large fans tend to spin slower while producing considerable cfm and less bearing noise, so moving up to a 140mm will help a lot. aftermarket cpu cooler might be a later upgrade. given the tight confines of the case, im not quite sure what will fit. some of those after market coolers are big honking things.

this aint my first rodeo. i used to do this for a living you know.

an update

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=26407986

Edited by Nuke

I see nothing specified you really need an i7 for. In general, if you cannot specifically explain why you do need one, you don't need one :P If you really insist on getting an i7 I would advise the slightly (30 dollar) more expensive but quite a bit faster K-version. Then the difference starts making some sense. To also overclock you would also need a different motherboard, but the speed alone makes it worth it. For around or slightly above the price of the motherboard you should be able to get a Z87 or Z97 board.

450 watt is already a silly amount of power for that CPU with that video card. It is highly unlikely the system will ever pull more than 300 watt total.

An i7 is a waste of money in a PC build for gaming and other everyday tasks. Its just slightly faster than an i5 but it costs much more, money that would better be spend on a faster GPU. The GTX 750ti is a card that should be paired with an i3, not an i7...

Regarding the PSU: I doubt you will get over 300W with that card, even in extreme loads like Furmark/Prime95.

having 8 threads instead of 4 means compiling of large code bases takes noticeably time. each cpp file and header gets its own thread. its one of those things easily made parallel. it might hurt gaming performance, but id rather be more productive at programming.

having 8 threads instead of 4 means compiling of large code bases takes noticeably time. each cpp file and header gets its own thread. its one of those things easily made parallel. it might hurt gaming performance, but id rather be more productive at programming.

Parallel does not mean it is better run on 8 threads than on 4. A lot of task switching is what does.

its nice to hit compile in visual studio with the task manager open, and watch all 8 graphs at 100%, while you were admiring them you long since failed to notice that its done compiling already. money cant buy that.

Is it not possible to disable hyperthreading in the BIOS?

It typically is possible.

In which case time a couple of compilations and see. Intel themselves generally talk about a 10-20% boost, so it is indeed nowhere near a true doubling of cores.

That 10 to 20% sounds about right in the optimum case. On average the gains are much more minimal (I'd say about 4%) and in specific cases the gains could be between -10% to ~+25%, so a rather wide range.

also it has an extra 2mb of cache, i love me some sram.

dont ruin it for me, this is the one part of the year i get to splurge on computer stuff. i want this build to go a good 3 years.

Edited by Nuke

dont ruin it for me, this is the one part of the year i get to splurge on computer stuff. i want this build to go a good 3 years.

Spend your money on whatever madness you like, just do not try to justify it with reasons that do not make sense :P

maybe, some issues came up in which the computer was more expensive than expected, which kind of limits any additional changes. ive already ordered the case from elsewhere because newegg conveniently ran out of stock. that added another 10 bucks to my order. the rest of my cash should be deposited tomorrow. the sale on my video card ended, and im kinda contemplating getting a slightly better one. though the next bracket up seems to be at the $200 mark, while i might swing the extra $30 for an even better i7, $50+ for a better video card seems less likely. case also limits me to cards < 210mm in length, so that also kills my options. i could do something different and go with an amd video card. on the other hand the 750ti is a low tdp card and fits my original plan better.

looks like a last minute change up. if i get the 4790k and this mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157531

i can use oc ram. ddr3 2400 seems to be in the range of affordability and this ram appears to be on the qvl:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231666

and power supply is still 50w over a peak loaded full cpu usage aged 450w power supply.

final build cost is 975.11 with 39.19 shipping. a little over budget but who cares i7 yay.

Edited by Nuke

Overclocked RAM is the most useless thing to buy for a PC, the improvements are often to small to be measured... Also which cooler do you buy to overclock the CPU?

Edited by Elthy

thats where i science. i have a couple hundred left over in case something goes wrong or there is insufficient cooling or whatever. i looked at what newegg had and the only after market offerings looked worse than intel's stock cooler or two big to fit. also i didnt find any numbers on cpu cooler to psu clearence so im going to have to measure that before selecting a cooler. il probibly have to go through another vendor. if i like my thermal numbers i dont see any point putting more money into it.

Edited by Nuke

thats where i science. i have a couple hundred left over in case something goes wrong or there is insufficient cooling or whatever. i looked at what newegg had and the only after market offerings looked worse than intel's stock cooler or two big to fit. also i didnt find any numbers on cpu cooler to psu clearence so im going to have to measure that before selecting a cooler. il probibly have to go through another vendor. if i like my thermal numbers i dont see any point putting more money into it.

If you had a few hundred left over I don't understand why you stuck with a 750 ti.

I keep getting an error message when I turn on my computer, saying it 'detected power surges at the previous startup'. I'm to replace it soon anyway, but which component is likely to be causing this? The power supply?

I suppose that's to be expected, given the circut breaker here is on a hair-trigger. I'm replacing it with one to go in a student flat rather than the house the computer is in, so that shouldn't be an issue, but what kind of components can I expect to be damaged from that? Can I trust the power supply for reuse, for example?