How can I check for updates?

1 hour ago, KrisKelvin said:

It's been a while since I used KSP and I can't remember how you update it. I seem to be on v 1.9.1.2788

Thanks

The last version of KSP before development and bug fixes ended is 1.12.3. To upgrade KSP you need to do it through whatever online store, such as Steam, you bought it from.

You posted this in the "modded" forum, so I'll add that changing from 1.9 to 1.12.3 may break some of your mods. Make a full backup of your current KSP 1.9 so you can keep playing that if you want, install 1.12.3 to a new folder. You can then install mods later.

18 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

The last version of KSP before development and bug fixes ended is 1.12.3. To upgrade KSP you need to do it through whatever online store, such as Steam, you bought it from.

You posted this in the "modded" forum, so I'll add that changing from 1.9 to 1.12.3 may break some of your mods. Make a full backup of your current KSP 1.9 so you can keep playing that if you want, install 1.12.3 to a new folder. You can then install mods later.

thanks. I found 1.12.23 on the website and just downloaded it from there. But before I saw this post I just installed it in the same folder as my old version (as I didn't want to use up all my disk space).

Not sure if that was a good idea though as it's now taken over 15 mins to start the program and it's still trying! I know KSP always used to be ridiculously slow loading, but it was never this bad! The yellow progress bar is not even half way!

I read elsewhere on this forum that the Win 64bit version was full of bugs and should be avoided. Is that still the case?

Edited by KrisKelvin

43 minutes ago, KrisKelvin said:

thanks. I found 1.12.23 on the website and just downloaded it from there. But before I saw this post I just installed it in the same folder as my old version (as I didn't want to use up all my disk space).

Not sure if that was a good idea though as it's now taken over 15 mins to start the program and it's still trying! I know KSP always used to be ridiculously slow loading, but it was never this bad! The yellow progress bar is not even half way!

I read elsewhere on this forum that the Win 64bit version was full of bugs and should be avoided. Is that still the case?

64-bit 1.12.3 is the best version to use if you're on a 64 bit version of Windows. Based on your old posts you have a good PC (32 GB RAM, 12 GB graphics card) which probably rules out "too old to run 1.12.3".

Your post history also says you use mods. Putting 1.12.3 into the old 1.9 folder was a mistake because an old mod might need updating: you don't know whether your loading problem is KSP 1.12, a mod, or something else. I'll quote my earlier post: "install 1.12.3 to a new folder. You can then install mods later."

25 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

64-bit 1.12.3 is the best version to use if you're on a 64 bit version of Windows. Based on your old posts you have a good PC (32 GB RAM, 12 GB graphics card) which probably rules out "too old to run 1.12.3".

Your post history also says you use mods. Putting 1.12.3 into the old 1.9 folder was a mistake because an old mod might need updating: you don't know whether your loading problem is KSP 1.12, a mod, or something else. I'll quote my earlier post: "install 1.12.3 to a new folder. You can then install mods later."

Actually I no longer have that PC unfortunately. I am now running on a laptop 2.4GHZ i9 with 64GB ram and NVIDIA GeForce 1650 Ti 4GB graphics card.

But I shall re-install to a clean folder and try again. What do I need to keep from the old installation? Are the mods all in one directory? (I seem to recall the whole mod process as being rather err.. elaborate)

1 hour ago, KrisKelvin said:

But I shall re-install to a clean folder and try again. What do I need to keep from the old installation? Are the mods all in one directory?

Assuming you found a legit 1.12.3 download site you don't need anything else. You're trying a fresh install with none of your old settings and none of your saved progress. It's a completely fresh start in case anything from your old game is incompatible with 1.12.3.

Mods generally go into subfolders beneath the gamedata folder inside your KSC install folder. Stock and DLC parts are also inside gamedata. The ModuleManager mod, a requirement for many other mods, is an exception that leaves some files inside gamedata instead of a subfolder.

On 8/23/2022 at 6:30 PM, DeadJohn said:

Assuming you found a legit 1.12.3 download site you don't need anything else. You're trying a fresh install with none of your old settings and none of your saved progress. It's a completely fresh start in case anything from your old game is incompatible with 1.12.3.

Mods generally go into subfolders beneath the gamedata folder inside your KSC install folder. Stock and DLC parts are also inside gamedata. The ModuleManager mod, a requirement for many other mods, is an exception that leaves some files inside gamedata instead of a subfolder.

Ok, thanks for your help. The game downloads are from the KSP website where I originally bought the game from. Though it seems to now be called "Private Division" 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.