[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.7]

Gameslinx

I've updated to the latest version, and i have a better sense of the crashing issue now.

If i start a brand new game, Parallax 2 seems to be working properly.  If i resume my career game, it gets to the KSP screen properly.  But the moment i try to do something from the main KSP menu (go to any building, load any game, etc), the screen goes blank except for the loading icon in the bottom right, which does not spin, and the game ultimately crashes, sometimes locking up the entire machine.

But starting a new game (at least a sandbox game) does not have this issue- i can create a ship and launch and see the awesomeness of the Parallax 2.

So what in my saved career game could be causing it to crash?  My career game works fine under Parallax 1, but locks up if i use Parallax 2.  What could be causing this?  Please advise and help me fix this.  Thanks!

-Fizz

1 hour ago, Fizz said:

I've updated to the latest version, and i have a better sense of the crashing issue now.

If i start a brand new game, Parallax 2 seems to be working properly.  If i resume my career game, it gets to the KSP screen properly.  But the moment i try to do something from the main KSP menu (go to any building, load any game, etc), the screen goes blank except for the loading icon in the bottom right, which does not spin, and the game ultimately crashes, sometimes locking up the entire machine.

But starting a new game (at least a sandbox game) does not have this issue- i can create a ship and launch and see the awesomeness of the Parallax 2.

So what in my saved career game could be causing it to crash?  My career game works fine under Parallax 1, but locks up if i use Parallax 2.  What could be causing this?  Please advise and help me fix this.  Thanks!

When you're asking for help resolving a problem, always post a link to your log file.  It helps the diagnosis.

Read this post on how to do this.

Edited by Brigadier

14 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

The rewrite won't be backwards compatible - that is the main reason why I'm releasing it separately. Too much of the underlying architecture has changed to support backwards compatibility without another copy of the code (essentially, the old mod). For mod authors I have included tools that will convert the old configs to almost usable new configs, but they will need to add a few extra things to them that I can't predict in the config upgrader. For authors, documentation will be available on my github.

Are you expecting the re-write to be hot-swappable in a save, or should we be planning on starting over?

18 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

Are you expecting the re-write to be hot-swappable in a save, or should we be planning on starting over?

Short answer: Yes, you can hot-swap. Saves will not corrupt or be altered in any way.

**However**, the positions of scatters will be different. If you're landed in a region where rocks can generate, be careful. You can always turn off colliders, make sure your bases are safe, and reposition accordingly.

7 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Short answer: Yes, you can hot-swap. Saves will not corrupt or be altered in any way.

**However**, the positions of scatters will be different. If you're landed in a region where rocks can generate, be careful. You can always turn off colliders, make sure your bases are safe, and reposition accordingly.

Good to know since I was planning on a colony heavy career next so it sounds like that would just end up being a massive headache. Seems like the best bet for me at least will be to hold off until the release. New question though is will this same re-rolling of the scatters happen between different versions of the beta / release or is it really just a one-time thing when moving from 2.0.7 to 3.0?

Edited by SpacedInvader

7 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

Good to know since I was planning on a colony heavy career next so it sounds like that would just end up being a massive headache. Seems like the best bet for me at least will be to hold off until the release. New question though is will this same re-rolling of the scatters happen between different versions of the beta / release or is it really just a one-time thing when moving from 2.0.7 to 3.0?

I'm aiming for the scatters to be consistent between beta/release but I can't guarantee anything because changes I make from feedback could change them again

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

I'm aiming for the scatters to be consistent between beta/release but I can't guarantee anything because changes I make from feedback could change them again

That's fair. Speaking of colliders, will the new scatter system improve on the way colliders match up with the scatter models? The current system is pretty solid, but there were more than a few times I got small rovers stuck on invisible rocks while trying to maneuver through particularly busy areas on the Mun.

Edited by SpacedInvader

I seem to be having issues with Parallax. Specifically, I am getting shadows from what appears to be plants, at the launchpad but there are no plants. See bottom of post for a screenshot. I have turned all the graphics sliders etc up as far as they'll go without success. This is a fresh install. Everything else works so far save for KSC Extended which I have removed.

Mod list: https://pastebin.com/UpiNixxK

Log file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f3TaDgWHbSsZm4819aBWLfyZ64OstH31/view?usp=sharing

screenshot3.png?ex=6689381b&is=6687e69b&

21 minutes ago, ryan2390 said:

I seem to be having issues with Parallax. Specifically, I am getting shadows from what appears to be plants, at the launchpad but there are no plants. See bottom of post for a screenshot. I have turned all the graphics sliders etc up as far as they'll go without success. This is a fresh install. Everything else works so far save for KSC Extended which I have removed.

Mod list: https://pastebin.com/UpiNixxK

Log file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f3TaDgWHbSsZm4819aBWLfyZ64OstH31/view?usp=sharing

screenshot3.png?ex=6689381b&is=6687e69b&

You're running OpenGL by using "-popupwindow -force-opengl" in your launch arguments. This is an OpenGL related issue that I'm looking into, but for now, please go back to DirectX by removing "-force-opengl" from your launch args. Or, if you're desperate to use it, try -force-glcore instead

5 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

You're running OpenGL by using "-popupwindow -force-opengl" in your launch arguments. This is an OpenGL related issue that I'm looking into, but for now, please go back to DirectX by removing "-force-opengl" from your launch args. Or, if you're desperate to use it, try -force-glcore instead

HI Gameslinx,

That was fast! I had experimented with this but removed the launch option after seeing it made little difference as far as I could tell. I've just double checked and can confirm the launch option was removed, but it's still launching in open GL mode so I shall see to that.

Thanks for the quick reply again - amazing mod.

On 7/1/2024 at 7:32 AM, Gameslinx said:

Thanks for the report. Your FPS drop is caused by parallax seemingly spectacularly breaking for reasons I'm unsure. The last lines of the log before the errors is "Active Vessel is about to crash. Cannot save". The vessel didn't crash because the log doesn't contain anything about parts being destroyed, so I'm assuming this is just caused by pressing F5 below 500m above the terrain and isn't related to the error.

This should be fixed in the rewrite I'm working on which majorly simplifies the process that's failing here. I noticed you're using the lifeless Eve patch and some textures couldn't be found according to your log. The best thing I can recommend is reinstalling Parallax and foregoing the lifeless eve patch and seeing if that stops the issue.

Thank you so much for the reply. After I tried it again using your suggestion, fresh parallax install without the eve configs, I unfortunately got the same issue. I should mention this is on one of the Kcalbeloh mod planets, but its fully compatible and no one else reported this bug in the mod. 

KSP.log

As for the log itself, the issue started at 13:29 in the logs time.  As soon as the freeze starts there's a ton of log messages about "Parallax Grass". I even tried hiding the grass that appeared in the ctrl+p config but it still after ~20 minutes of flight the game did the same thing.

I was wondering if it would be possible to outright disable the grass that's being mentioned in the logs? I can live without it and the grass seems to be the only thing that's caused this issue for me so far. Thank you for your time.