[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.7]

Gameslinx

I've updated to the latest version, and i have a better sense of the crashing issue now.

If i start a brand new game, Parallax 2 seems to be working properly.  If i resume my career game, it gets to the KSP screen properly.  But the moment i try to do something from the main KSP menu (go to any building, load any game, etc), the screen goes blank except for the loading icon in the bottom right, which does not spin, and the game ultimately crashes, sometimes locking up the entire machine.

But starting a new game (at least a sandbox game) does not have this issue- i can create a ship and launch and see the awesomeness of the Parallax 2.

So what in my saved career game could be causing it to crash?  My career game works fine under Parallax 1, but locks up if i use Parallax 2.  What could be causing this?  Please advise and help me fix this.  Thanks!

-Fizz

1 hour ago, Fizz said:

I've updated to the latest version, and i have a better sense of the crashing issue now.

If i start a brand new game, Parallax 2 seems to be working properly.  If i resume my career game, it gets to the KSP screen properly.  But the moment i try to do something from the main KSP menu (go to any building, load any game, etc), the screen goes blank except for the loading icon in the bottom right, which does not spin, and the game ultimately crashes, sometimes locking up the entire machine.

But starting a new game (at least a sandbox game) does not have this issue- i can create a ship and launch and see the awesomeness of the Parallax 2.

So what in my saved career game could be causing it to crash?  My career game works fine under Parallax 1, but locks up if i use Parallax 2.  What could be causing this?  Please advise and help me fix this.  Thanks!

When you're asking for help resolving a problem, always post a link to your log file.  It helps the diagnosis.

Read this post on how to do this.

Edited by Brigadier

14 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

The rewrite won't be backwards compatible - that is the main reason why I'm releasing it separately. Too much of the underlying architecture has changed to support backwards compatibility without another copy of the code (essentially, the old mod). For mod authors I have included tools that will convert the old configs to almost usable new configs, but they will need to add a few extra things to them that I can't predict in the config upgrader. For authors, documentation will be available on my github.

Are you expecting the re-write to be hot-swappable in a save, or should we be planning on starting over?

18 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

Are you expecting the re-write to be hot-swappable in a save, or should we be planning on starting over?

Short answer: Yes, you can hot-swap. Saves will not corrupt or be altered in any way.

**However**, the positions of scatters will be different. If you're landed in a region where rocks can generate, be careful. You can always turn off colliders, make sure your bases are safe, and reposition accordingly.

7 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Short answer: Yes, you can hot-swap. Saves will not corrupt or be altered in any way.

**However**, the positions of scatters will be different. If you're landed in a region where rocks can generate, be careful. You can always turn off colliders, make sure your bases are safe, and reposition accordingly.

Good to know since I was planning on a colony heavy career next so it sounds like that would just end up being a massive headache. Seems like the best bet for me at least will be to hold off until the release. New question though is will this same re-rolling of the scatters happen between different versions of the beta / release or is it really just a one-time thing when moving from 2.0.7 to 3.0?

Edited by SpacedInvader

7 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

Good to know since I was planning on a colony heavy career next so it sounds like that would just end up being a massive headache. Seems like the best bet for me at least will be to hold off until the release. New question though is will this same re-rolling of the scatters happen between different versions of the beta / release or is it really just a one-time thing when moving from 2.0.7 to 3.0?

I'm aiming for the scatters to be consistent between beta/release but I can't guarantee anything because changes I make from feedback could change them again

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

I'm aiming for the scatters to be consistent between beta/release but I can't guarantee anything because changes I make from feedback could change them again

That's fair. Speaking of colliders, will the new scatter system improve on the way colliders match up with the scatter models? The current system is pretty solid, but there were more than a few times I got small rovers stuck on invisible rocks while trying to maneuver through particularly busy areas on the Mun.

Edited by SpacedInvader