(RSS-RP-1 RO)What calculations would i need to make for a spin-stabilized sample return?

So I saw  The Beardy Penguin's for all kerbalkind sample return mission and was wondering what calculations I would need to make to perform such a feat  (dumb it down if possible, math is not my strong suit)

(video) at 28:20

Edited by kerbalyeeter40
i wanetd to add that

No calculations necessary, just land on the trailing side of the Moon so that when you launch straight up it will send the return capsule out of the Moon’s SOI and onto a return trajectory. Add about 25% extra delta-V to compensate for gravity losses and use KCT’s simulation mode and the KSP set position cheat to test it out to make sure it works before building it.

1 hour ago, kerbalyeeter40 said:

@jimmymcgoochie forgive me, but what does trailing side mean?

The Moon is tidally locked to Earth, meaning it rotates on its axis at the same speed as it orbits the Earth. The near side of the Moon always faces Earth, the far side always faces away.

This also means there's a side of the Moon that always faces "forwards" (i.e. prograde) relative to the Moon's orbit around the Earth, and a side that faces "backwards" (i.e. retrograde). Land on the retrograde side and you'll be pointing the right way to escape the Moon's gravity and return to Earth in a straight line.

sBBLET9.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.