Create our own solar system

Are you picturing an in-game tool or just modding support? The devs have promised greater modding support for KSP2 and custom planet packs were always one of the most popular types of mods for KSP1, so I'm sure we'll see plenty of fanmade solar systems in the coming months, though you'd have to learn all the requisite coding and 3D modeling skills if you want to do it yourself.

Any kind of in-game tools would be basically impossible to implement without heavy procedural generation, and I'd be surprised if the devs felt they had any reason to pour resources into something like that, especially during Early Access.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:48 PM, daninplainsight said:

Any kind of in-game tools would be basically impossible to implement without heavy procedural generation, and I'd be surprised if the devs felt they had any reason to pour resources into something like that, especially during Early Access.

Well, custom solar systems are popular these days. I hope KSP2 has the ability to add them and then you can travel to them, as opposed to replacing the Kerbin system.

Suggestion: allow modders to add planet packs directly to the KSP2 universe through a curating + voting system. Players could explore them with telescopes and download them in-game when planning a journey.

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

Suggestion: allow modders to add planet packs directly to the KSP2 universe through a curating + voting system. Players could explore them with telescopes and download them in-game when planning a journey.

I suggested similar months ago.  Something will work out either via stock or mod

You have to realise that what’s going to be in game is going to be what you see in the roadmap. They can’t just sit down and code in something in less than 6 weeks, ( assuming a 6 week dev cycle) or even longer given that they already have roadmap that covers the next  36- 96 weeks before they can really get around to adding anything new.

This sounds like pretty core mod support: to be able to add systems without an over-arcing mod that replaces everything.  Depending on how they handle mods, it might not even need C# code.

If you can add or even modify systems through just dropping in some XML or the like, then that could probably be managed easily through Steam workshop or something CKAN-like, even if the devs don't build a voting system for as long time.

4 hours ago, Drakenred65 said:

You have to realise that what’s going to be in game is going to be what you see in the roadmap. They can’t just sit down and code in something in less than 6 weeks, ( assuming a 6 week dev cycle) or even longer given that they already have roadmap that covers the next  36- 96 weeks before they can really get around to adding anything new.

Well, not everyone is fully loaded at every stage of a project, much as that would make management easier.  If all that's really needed is an external website or game UI to handle the voting, and the rest is more-or-less already there, that's the kind of work that makes a great intern project for example.  I know we were always struggling to find isolated bits of work that interns could do and point to afterwards.

Just in general, I strongly suspect the size of the team and their ability to deliver will depend on how well the game sells in EA.  They could surprise me in either direction.